(Ended) SimCaptain's 2020 Livery Designing Contest

Hmmmm this looks interesting! Time to harness my 0.01% artistic abilities.

3 Likes

@anon7075715 here you go :)

Everyone wondering how to do this, I’ll make a quick tutorial for paint.net:

⚠️ GO TO getpaint.net TO DOWNLOAD PAINT.NET

I use paint.net for liveries, which is less powerful than other programs. However, it is free.

To use paint.net (which is found at getpaint.net I believe) to make liveries, you need to download the .psd extension found here. Relocate this to the correct folder, which is described in this tutorial. Then, you must download Medviation’s templates here. Make sure to create an Airline Empires account first, otherwise you will not be able to access the page. If you ever forget where to download templates, go to Forums -> Logo/Livery Requests -> Medviation’s Templates -> Download Here! I suggest creating a folder for templates and a folder for liveries.

Learning to mask is very important. First, you must download the Alpha-Mask Extension and go through this tutorial. The paint.net section is located at the bottom of the topic. Remember to put the Alpha-Mask extension in the correct folder, as described in the topic! Recently, this extension has not been working, but it may just be my technology that’s the problem.

Starting to create liveries is easy, if you do it the right way. Airplane templates are created with many layers, each corresponding to a part of the aircraft. For example, an engine layer would correspond to the engine of the airplane. Always make your designs in a layer above the “base layer”. If you see, for example, Fuselage_Details, don’t use it. Instead, add a layer on top of the Fuselage Layer.

Here is a rundown of the tools I use the most in paint.net
  • Pencil Tool - To use this feature, you must either click a part of the screen or click and drag.
  • Brush Tool - This is used in the same fashion as the pencil tool. However, you can increase or decrease the size of the brush via a drop down menu reading “brush width” at the top of the screen.
  • Line Tool - Possibly the most important tool in paint.net , you use the line feature by clicking and dragging. You will find that there are four movable points along the line you created. enabling you to make curves and other things. Again, the width of the line is determined in the same fashion as the brush tool. This tool will need some experience to find all of its features.
  • Select Tool - This can be found at the top left of the tool box. It creates a box, which you click and drag to enlarge or make smaller, and selects whatever is inside the box. It is useful for duplicating details and exporting/importing items.

Logos can be hard to find. I would recommend searching the internet at the beginning, but as you progress in skill to create them yourself. Be aware of prices and copyright laws. I get my fonts from fonts.com, which has an absolutely massive selection of typefaces.

I would highly suggest looking at liveries you find on the internet or in real life for inspiration if you have no ideas. Do not copy theirs though. Make the livery your own.

If you have any questions, please PM me. I am not as skilled as others on this forum, but I believe I am the only one who uses paint.net .

5 Likes

Very in-depth. Thank you so much for this!

2 Likes

Great idea!

I’ve been busy at work with my submission, I’ll send it over shortly!

2 Likes

Awesome! fill

1 Like

Thanks for your awesome submssions @anon7075715 and @Thunderbolt. And I can’t wait to see what everyone else has to submit!

2 Likes

Thanks @Butter_Boi for the beautiful livery submission! Everyone else, you have until midnight (Zulu time) THIS COMING MONDAY to send in submissions. Good luck y’all!

2 Likes

Monday as in May 4?

2 Likes

Yes May 4.

2 Likes

Where do you design your own livery?

1 Like

It’s up to each person but I’m probably gonna draw mine on paper with colored pencil

1 Like

Yeah same!

1 Like

@NoahM @MJP_27

@Butter_Boi found a pretty good mobile software for livery design called Airlines Painter.

1 Like

I’ll check that out, thanks 😊

1 Like

Heck ya, this looks fun. Expect a submission soon 😉

1 Like

Awesome!! I’ll look for it.

1 Like

@AlphaSeven just submitted a great livery. You’ve got T-43 hours to submit yours.

Hey, I have 2 questions.

1. If we remake an existing airline’s livery, would there be copyright issues?
  2. I had this template for a long time and have no idea where I got it from. How do I credit the original creator of the template?

Make sure to include the name of the airline you are copying if you choose to do so. The community is the only ones seeing the liveries, so I don’t think there should be a problem. And don’t worry about crediting the template if you don’t know where you got it. Most templates are made by the manufacturers themselves.

1 Like

What time are these due tomorrow?