End of Summer Spotting! (BRU/EBBR)

Hello everyone, I hope you’re all having a great day today and welcome to another spotting topic!

If you haven’t seen my last topic Northern Lights at Brussels!, check it out.

Last month on the 22nd of August I went spotting for the last time that summer, I spotting a total of 4 times just in August alone, the reason for me going so much is because runway 07L/25R was being repaved.

You might think that’s quite normal and you’d be partially right, the runways at Brussels only get repaved every 15 years or so which means that the next time that happens, I’ll be in my 30s.

Runway 07L/25R is also the northern most runway which is always used by cargo aircraft so it being closed meant that I got to see a lot of cargo aircraft I usually wouldn’t see up close.

Just like in my last topic I edited these pictures so I hope they came out pretty good.

Basic information:

• Landing runway: 19 (later changed to 25L)
  • Departing runway: 19 (later changed to 25L)
  • Camera: Fujifilm X-T2
  • Lens: Fujifilm XF 100-400mm

And of course the good part, the pictures!

First off we have a shot that I actually rushed to get, we just arrived and had parked the car and were grabbing the equipment when I checked Flightradar24 like I always do, when I did I noticed this lining up so I rushed up a little hill next to the parking lot and turned the camera on as fast as I’ve ever done. The aircraft in question is this gorgeous Western Global Airlines McDonell Douglas MD-11F (N799JN) departing towards Miami International Airport (MIA/KMIA).

When I had set up my equipment and taken a few shots already this beautiful Middle Eastern Airlines (MEA) Airbus A321neo (T7-ME1) which was only just over a month old at the time taking off, headed to Beirut International Airport (BEY/OLBA).

Next up we have the stunning United Airlines Boeing 787-10 (N12012) in the new livery, departing towards Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD/KIAD).

After a while I noticed that all landings and departures had switched to runway 25L so we decided to pack up and drive to the parking area of the spotting platform for 07R/25L.

After everything was set up again it didn’t take long for something nice to arrive, here we have an Embraer Legacy 450 (OO-NEY) coming in from Quimper–Bretagne Airport (UIP/LFRQ).

Not too long after I got to see a special livery taking off that had landed a few hours earlier, here we have the gorgeous Icelandair Boeing 757-300 (TF-ISX) in the “100 Years Icelandic Independence” livery lining up to head for Keflavik Airport (KEF/BIKF).

About 20 minutes later I got to see this stunning Egyptair Airbus A320neo (SU-GFJ) about to touch down after a flight from Cairo International Airport (CAI/HECA).

Only about 10 minutes later this nice Vueling Airbus A320 (EC-MBY) touching down after flying from Josep Tarradellas Barcelona–El Prat Airport (BCN/LEBL).

Immediately after that another private jet came by, this time a Cessna 680 Citation Sovereign (OO-GLM) coming in from Ibiza Airport (IBZ/LEIB).

After the private jet was clear of the runway the next aircraft proceeded to backtrack the runway to line up on runway 25L, the aircraft in question was this Virgin Atlantic Boeing 787-9 (G-VZIG) that’s preparing to depart to Heathrow Airport (LHR/EGLL).
Behind it you can just about see a TAP Airbus A319 (TC-TTG) which will take off before the 787 towards Humberto Delgado Airport (LIS/LPPT).

here you can see the co-pilot giving me and other fellow spotters a polite wave (first time that I captured a pilot waving).

And that’s it! Shortly after I captured a few more aircraft it started raining so we packed up and left, this was the last day before runway 07L/25R would open again (23 August). This was kind of a birthday pressent since my birthday was the day before (21 August) and I was pretty happy with the turnout.

Anyway I hope you liked the pictures, the weather was quite dark so I had to use a bit more photoshop to brighten up the images. let me know what you think of them!

Have a great day everyone!

(I had to repost this since I accidentally put it in the #general category before.)

28 Likes

THOSE PICS ARE STUNNING

That 787 takeoff is the best pic I have seen all day/week on IFC!!!

1 Like

Thank you so much! That means a lot.

1 Like

Happy Birthday afterwards! My favorite (as always) were the Neos but I was also surprised to see a 787 in this times on such a route… Any background or is this regularly flown?

1 Like

The United 787-10 flies regularly out of Brussels to both Newark and Washington, always the same models I think.

The Virgin Atlantic 787-9 I believe are cargo flights since they always taxi to the cargo area at Brussels, I believe they sent an A350-1000 here as well sometime in September.

1 Like

Ah ok! I never knew about Virgin being at Brussels but that’s a cool thing for sure

1 Like

Yep, due to COVID-19 they use their smallest aircraft in their fleet to fly these cargo routes, they’ve never done passenger service so once the travel restrictions are lifted I imagine they’ll stop flying here.

1 Like

Some absolutely stunning pictures!! Especially the Vueling A320 is fantastic, but the Virgin B787 and Egypt Air are very close as well. Brussels seems to be really spotter friendly. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thank you very much!

And yes, Brussels is pretty spotter friendly, they have dedicated platforms for 2 of the 3 runways (01/19 and 07R/25L), with all my topics I did get lucky since runway 07L/25R was closed to get repaved so everything usually came on the same runway.

1 Like

That sounds very nice. Probably I have to visit Brussels once this … is over.

Thanks for the very cool impressions once again!

2 Likes

WOW Love the Stunning Egyptair A320Neo Shot! 😍😍😍

1 Like

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Amazingggg pictures!! I loved! Congrats!!

1 Like

Thank you! I appreciate it.

1 Like

By the way, it’s not T7-MEI but ME1 (Mike Echo One)

1 Like

Thank you for letting me know! I couldn’t see it very well due to the angle, all of my photo’s of it were like that. I’ll change it now.

1 Like