Enable landings lights at 10,000 ft or when entering the glide slope?

Hey guys,

I have a question about landing lights. When I’m about to land and I enter 10,000 ft (going down) on my descent, I turn on my strobe and landing lights. Are you suppose to turn on your landing lights when you enter 10,000 ft or below or are you suppose to turn them on when you enter the glide slope down to the runway? (The red lines) If you have the answer to this question that would be so much help.

Thank you IF community,
Axtheticly

1 Like

ig it is at 10000 feet…i always do that…

and strobes are supposed to be on from time of entering the departure runway till the time you exit the arrival runway

I thought they were turned on until you hit 10,000 ft after your departure?

1 Like

Landing lights are turned on between 10,000 feet and the airport, on takeoff and landing

So when you takeoff from an airport, you can turn off landing lights once you reach 10000. And when descending, you turn them on as you pass through 10000

Strobes should be on from takeoff to landing, as well as any time you cross a runway on ground.

1 Like

Strobes:

Turn ON when you enter your departure runway
Turn OFF when you exit your arrival runway

Landing Lights:

Turn OFF when ascending through 10000ft
Turn ON when descending through 10000ft

4 Likes

What about day time?

Same rules in the day as in the night…

1 Like

IRL I don’t see strobe lights on during the day.

1 Like

You should have strobes on during the day - you just don’t notice them much…

1 Like

Same rule applies

(GA aircraft are a bit different, you don’t need to turn on landing lights during the day)

Strobes should be on anytime you are airborne

1 Like

uhhhh…ok lol

@phoenix006 It’s just a typo…

@Axtheticly two things here. Wikipedia is not always reliable. As @IF787 rules may differ with GA aircraft, but strobes should be use during the day. You may not see them as clearly because it’s day and there is a lot of light.

5 Likes

Should we activate them at 10000ft AGL or MSL? Because some airports are located very high from the sea

SKBO for example (8360ft MSL)
After take off, should I accelerate >250kts from 10000ft MSL or from 18360ft MSL (and turn off my landing lights)

1 Like

i think it is AGL

Different operators do different things with lights. Strobes should be on from the moment you enter the runway, to the moment you exit the runway, plus when you cross anyway runways. Basically, on a runway or in the air.
Landing lights change with operators. They should be on when on a runway. When taking off, some ops turn them off when retracting the gear, some do it at 10,000, some wait until 18,000. On landing, some do it from 18,000, some at 10,000, some when cleared to land. So, guess you can choose.

3 Likes

Thank you mate !

@Nylzaga @InfiniteFlightDeck @phoenix006 @tunamkol @Axtheticly @IF787 @BennyBoy
Yo guys able to help out by joining my session? Paul_G's ATC Tracking Thread - [OPEN] @ SBSP [PASSED WRITTEN]

2 Likes