Pretty big week for Emirates at the 2019 Dubai Airshow. If you haven’t heard already, Emirates ordered 50 A350s a few days ago and cancelled their A330neo order.
Emirates has announced a firm order for 30 Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners.
- The order is priced at $8.8 billion USD.
- Emirates will use these 30 787s to substitute 30 777Xs
While Boeing’s media release doesn’t specify the 777X, it’s likely this aircraft as Emirates’ media release states it will substitute the 777X with the 787-9.
Emirates will update a portion of its large order book by exercising substitution rights and converting 30 777 airplanes into 30 787-9s.
- The 787-9s are expected to be delivered from May 2023 until 2028.
- Emirates has confirmed it remains committed to the 777X. The 787-9 will only complement existing aircraft in its fleet.
- Emirates previously agreed to order 40 787-10s but has cancelled it; This 787-9 order replaces the -10 order.