Emirates flight avoids mid-air collision

It could be a case of pilot fatigue on the Emirates flight making a simple mistake like that. Ex Emirates pilots have spoken out against the way they overwork pilots

1 Like

This type of mistake is not acceptable from an a380 pilot. Again we should all examine what caused the A380 pilot to misunderstand the ATC instructions. The Air Seychelles pilots acted with top-notch professionalism saving hundreds of lives.

I really don’t understand what is the big deal here. The reason why aviation is so safe is because of the incredible amount of preventive measures taken. The fact that one had to be used to avoid a collision is actually a cause for celebration. It doesn’t mean we should make more preemptive systems, just that they are working and saving lives. Aviation is safer than ever.

1 Like

Remember, Better Safe Than Sorry!

2 Likes

Exactly. The fact that TCAS was used isn’t bad news.

2 Likes

TCAS sometimes doesn’t work which is the cause of mid air collisions

1 Like

It’s not always the case. For example, there was a 2002 incident when a Russian plane followed ATC’s advice which ATC made a mistake which caused the incident.

1 Like

Yeah there’s that also there’s human error on everything

I’m pretty sure collision stats due to pilot error and/or ATC vs. TCAS would speak for themselves. I can’t even think of TCAS ever causing one, actually. 🤔 Now I wonder…

Can I please see some proof in the form of an an article explaining an incident caused by TCAS

TCAS never caused it. The DHL Boeing 757 pilots did exactly the opposite of what the TCAS told the pilots to do, and that caused the crash.

1 Like

No, i didn’t meant it like that. It just sometimes doesn’t function, not giving wrong instructions.

Okay, see this video. The DHL plane followed the TCAS instructions and is the Russian plane that took ATC’s side.

TCAS wasn’t under problem at that time as the TCAS on both planes were working at that time. I can’t also blame the ATC nor the pilots as the pilots didn’t know which one should they follow

2 Likes

Then I think there should be aviation established rule that pilots should always follow the TCAS during a near collision 🤔

1 Like

That’s why the ATC didn’t tell neither the Air Seychelles nor Emirates flights to climb/descend. They just listen to TCAS 😉

Where in the article did it say that? ATC are the ones who told them what to do.
Read this part of the article:

"According to a report in the Aviation Herald, air traffic control staff in Mauritius had cleared the Air Seychelles flight to take-off and advised it to climb to an altitude of 37,000 feet, while advising the EK703 to descend from 40,000 feet to 38,000 fleet." :)

1 Like

The EK misread FL380 as FL360 and did a false readback 😉. That’s why it almost collides with the Air Seychelles

2 Likes

The Air Seychelles flight crew saves the day.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.