Emirates A380 Returns to Johannesburg

EK761 landed this morning in JNB , instead of being operated by the normal B777-300ER that EK operates 4 times daily to JNB , this morning was operated by the A380 marking the start of a resumed EK A380 service to JNB after stoping a A380 rotation 5 years ago. This is pretty significant indicating high growth on the sector especially in all classes. Cape Town recently received a new EK lounge at the cost of $2.29 million USD with the edition of a third daily flight to CPT. DUR is not to be forgotten with a new direct flight as well , this is a pure indication of the expansive growth of EK within South Africa and its commitment to to the South African tourism and business/job sector. I often fly out of CPT when flying EK , but in June flying out to Asia from JNB and quickly made a call to EK to get my departing flight changed to the EK762 which is operated by the A380 when i found out this beast was a option , better J/F product overall.

While this isn’t news to some for the few who have been frequent flyers on EK to and from South Africa, let me inform you that this is pretty big and shows and proves how well the South African tourism industry is doing and thank god for that !

I now have a excuse to fly a EK A380 into JNB when global comes out :D

Not my photo - EK claims this beauty of a shot !

18 Likes

That’s great! It’s likely because of how many they have ordered so they’re are just switching B77W’s with the A380’s at the larger airports

2 Likes

Yeah F/J cabin have been totally full on every flight i have been on the CPT/JNB- DXB sector , most the money is made of theses tickets. EK dropped the A380 service originally as the 77W is able to handle a higher cargo capacity.

2 Likes

I know exactly where they spotted that. He was on a tall slide 😂 Tell me the days and time and I’ll go spot it sometime

2 Likes

Seems as a good change the a380 is really good for destinations with lots of full flight in the 777 so This Seems great.

2 Likes

Uh oh IFC regular JNB spotter back in action , EK761 comes in at around 10:55AM …

3 Likes

And I am still waiting for the announcement of direct flights to Maputo.

1 Like

Not sure if there is enough demand for a direct Maputo flight.

1 Like

Maybe a three weekly via Durban?

Not enough demand still , i highly doubt they will get the green light for a 5th freedom flight. I know TK battled for years to get a 5th freedom on the CPT-JNB-IST sector , there would be a total of 13% load factor on the CPT-JNB sector hence seriously not profitable , but not enough demand for a CPT-IST segment. This has changed thou now and TK do a direct flight now on the CPT-IST sector to be created. The DUR-DXB sector is operated by a two class 777 as not enough demand for F/J to Durban , more of a economy targeted market. Emirates often struggle with poor demand for a all year round consistently good load factor in regards to paxs/cargo on operated flights into Southern Africa besides South Africa’s three major cities, actually they struggle with most destinations in Africa. Maputo is also heavily expensive for tourists and not a major tourist destination. EK are only interested in starting routes they know will make a substantial profit and will not have any serious operational issues.

1 Like

Was glad when I seen you’d posted this!!

1 Like

Never thought it was that hard and complicated. Thank you for explaining!

1 Like

Emirates is like McDonald’s. They’re everywhere!

2 Likes

Looks like this has been short lived , just got a email saying the flight has been downgraded to a B777-300ER !

3 Likes

Thats a shame, I remember when it was Air France, Lufthansa, BA and 1 Emirates flight all operating to JNB on 380s. Not sure if O.R. Tambo could handle it

1 Like

Infact, yes. it can. I remember seeing pictures posted in a local aviation forum and all those A380s were parked at the same time. 2 facing the R21 highway, 1 facing the runway and the other on a gate. I will look for the picture and post it here.

2 Likes

They could more then handle it , I think EK just aren’t able to fill all those Y seats. Ironically J/F usually are always sold out , or even oversold. Not to mention that the 777 can handle more cargo…

1 Like

Its the same case here at NBO. They always manage to have terrific load factors on the two 77Ws they bring. Mosly due to F/J

2 Likes

Yeah every EK flight i have been on departing South Africa to and from has been packed , my flight in June that i am deliberately going out of my way for to fly on the A380 from Johannesburg with the superior J product compared to the 777 that get sent down to Cape Town , has back fired ! Well it isn’t all bad news , the flight in J is now over booked and with two seats left in F ( Hopefully stay empty ) a op-up to F is looking likely seeing that i am Skywards Platinum on a flex plus ticket :D

2 Likes

A380 service has been switched to EK764 , in favor of a later departure time !

1 Like