Emirates A380 caused a business jet underneath it to lose control!

A380 Wake Turbulence rolls Challenger 604

An Emirates A380-800, flight EK-412 from Dubai to Sydney, FL350 about 630nm southeast of Muscat, passed a business jet Challenger 604, flying underneath in opposite direction. The A380 continued the flight to Sydney without any apparent incident and landed safely.

The business jet, performing flight MHV-604 from Male (Maldives) to Abu Dhabi with 9 people on board lost control after passing underneath the A380 as a result of wake turbulence from the A380.

The challenger was able to regain control of the aircraft only after losing about 10,000 feet. The airframe experienced very high G-Loads during the upset, a number of occupants received injuries during the upset.
After the crew managed to stabilize the aircraft the crew decided to divert to Muscat (Oman) and landed.

A number of occupants were taken to a hospital, one occupant was reported with serious injuries. The aircraft received damage beyond repair and was written off.

For full report: Aviation Herald: http://avherald.com/h?article=4a5e80f3

This was the photo supplied in the article, not my own.

18 Likes

This should be in the Real World Aviation Category.

https://community.infiniteflight.com/c/real-world-aviation

And isn’t your photo upside down?

13 Likes

No that was the way the photo was in the article lol

5 Likes

Are you sure you weren’t reading the article upside down?

35 Likes

Expert photoshop my friend😉

I found it on Facebook lol (don’t criticize me for that) and this is how it was. Sorry but I did nothing to the photo. @MishaCamp

7 Likes

It doesn’t say what altitude the Challenger was flying at? You’d think that would be included.

Just imagine if it was a BUFF lol

2 Likes

If you read it backwards it’s about a A380 saving a small jet from danger :)

2 Likes

Don’t challenge the beast😂
Iam happy that every one survived.

2 Likes

Lol. The A380s power 😂
1000 feet of separation yet this happened… the A380 is amazing.

5 Likes

A380’s power is amazing, and clearly the turbulence from that mass is a force to be reckoned with. Kudos to the crew for regaining control of aircraft and hopefully all injuries heal quickly.

7 Likes

We followed an A380 in an MD80 around FL180 and it tossed us around pretty good. Never felt a plane move like that before. After landing I asked the pilot and he said we were 18 miles behind the A380 when we hit it, crazy!

3 Likes

They don’t get the SUPER at the end of the callsign for no reason😉

Don’t mess with the heavies…

1 Like

That photo reminds me with a movie where the plane goes upside down 😂. Forgot the title

2 Likes

I think it’s flight.

1 Like

My inner scientist wants to repeat this experiment, but replace the A380 with an AN225 Mriya.
If the A380 gave it a good battering, the AN225 might be able to deliver the knockout blow.

Parachutes at the ready!

3 Likes

Reminds me of that experiment of a 747 blowing a car.

If this is the case then that has gotta to be very poor ATC control