Emergency braking systems

(Disclaimer I searched and found no post for emergency breaks)
Have you ever landed on infinite flight and just realized your not going to stop in time and you’re nearing the threshold. Only a couple of things will happen there
1.) You go off the runway and crash (might be a hill after) and get embarrassed on expert. Because you just ate dirt in front of very respected community members.
2.) you go off and get a speed taxi violation
And have to leave.
3.) you end the flight saving your dignity.
But what I purpose is a emergency break function, as you may know most commercial aircraft have an emergency breaking system
Some are pneumatic systems and some use some sort of bottle system (? I wouldn’t know im not a brakeologist) all you would need to do is quick double tap the break button and it will turn red. And a red blip will be next to your name from ATC tower view/Map view

and im not asking for some sparks or special animation but just a faster breaking system for when it’s too late to abort. Thank you!

This is one of the funniest things I’ve ever read… 😂

If this is a real thing on aircraft it seems cool, but if this doesn’t really exist then I would rather not frankly… 🤷🏻‍♂️

9 Likes

Idk if its a real system but if it is then good idea. But why would you be overrunning the runway? if you were having a late landing I would have gone around and if the runway is just too short then you probably shouldn’t be landing there anyway.

2 Likes

I agree with @TimR. I also am under the assumption that you can stop an aircraft in a matter of seconds if you have full reverse thrust and brakes set.

Of course, that’s not exactly the most realistic, but if we were being realistic, the aircraft would have gone around. ;)

3 Likes

This is for when you underestimated runway size and you’re in an for example A380 in high traffic. You might need to e-break. If we didn’t need them we wouldn’t have them.

1 Like

I agree with you. If you did have an issue you can use full reverse thrust and brakes.

2 Likes

It’s a great idea 😉👍🏽

1 Like

Thank you for agreeing though all opinions are respected.

Yes, there is such a thing in real life. It’s called the parking brake. The parking brake is only used in emergency situations - like when the normal rudder brakes stop working. Using the parking brake on the runway in an effort to slow down would lock up the wheels, potentially destroy the wheels themselves, and cause discomfort for passengers because of the abrupt stop.

However, I can see the need for this. Sometimes you misjudge an approach and come in too fast or you hover over the runway for too long - no matter what it is, I think an emergency braking system, or a parking brake, would come in handy. You can have my vote.

1 Like

Thank you 🙏😀🤘

I’m my quite sure this is a necessary feature, brakes combined with reverse thrust is already way overpowered, at most airports I don’t even use reverse thrust anymore just so I can get to a high speed runway exit faster.

1 Like

This is a good idea. I personally have thought there perhaps shouldn’t be just one set of brakes. Like there could be light brakes, medium and as your suggesting heavy braking. Perhaps this could come as a small feature to future updates…

1 Like

Make sure to vote!

I like the taste of fresh soil in the morning.

1 Like

Under normal conditions (meaning appropriate fuel, no true emergency, etc.), you should execute a go-around in most of these scenarios. Hit TOGA thrust and come back for another try.

A feature like this would get abused by many. Folks would use this to attempt to stop an A380 at KASE.

2 Likes

This has never happened to me from what I can remember. Personally I wouldn’t find a use for this since brakes and reverse thrust can stop an aircraft very quickly on IF.

3 Likes