El Al 787s Ferry Millions of Eggs From Europe

Hello, IFC,

It looks like El Al is using their 787s to ferry a few million eggs!
Such eggciting news!

Here is the article from Simple Flying!

Israeli airline El Al has been operating some eggciting flights lately. The airline’s Boeing 787s have been ferrying millions of eggs between Europe and Tel Aviv, 45 tonnes at a time.

El Al has flown three million eggs to Israel from Europe. Photo: Boeing

We’ve seen some interesting cargo flights operated by passenger aircraft recently. While the majority of these flights have been centered around medical aid, El Al has taken a different approach with five Boeing 787 Dreamliner flights. To combat supermarket shortages as a result of the Passover holiday, the Israeli carrier transported three million eggs from Portugal to Israel.

Eggciting cargo

Recently, there have been very few flights in and out of Tel Aviv due to a travel ban enacted by the Israeli government. As passenger flights typically also carry cargo, there has been a scramble to keep supply chains operational. This has seen some carriers operating passenger aircraft for cargo flights. El Al, Israel’s biggest airline, has joined in with these flights.

El Al, Boeing 787, Eggs

One of the special egg flights from Lisbon to Tel Aviv. Photo: FlightRadar24.com

The Times Of Israel reports that the carrier will operate a total of five flights from Europe to Tel Aviv, stuffed full of eggs. Four will go from Lisbon and one from Kyiv in Ukraine. Between them, these flights will carry some three million eggs to the nation. Simple Flying understands that, so far, two Boeing 787-9 aircraft have operated four egg ferry flights from Lisbon between them:

• 6th April – 4X-EDC – Departed Lisbon 18:29 – Arrived Tel Aviv 01:08;
  • 6th April – 4X-EDE – Departed Lisbon 21:30 – Arrived Tel Aviv 04:12;
  • 15th April – 4X-EDC – Departed Lisbon 20:31 – Arrived Tel Aviv 02:54;
  • 15th April – 4X-EDE – Departed Lisbon 21:57 – Arrived Tel Aviv 04:19.

According to the Times of Israel, eggs have been ordered from Spain, Portugal, Italy, and Ukraine. The shortage of eggs faced by Israel has led to “ a thriving black market in eggs. ” As well as the eggs that were airlifted by the carrier, 30 million additional eggs are being shipped to Israel by sea.

Fully loaded 787s

To carry the vast number of eggs, the fragile cargo was loaded into the hold, as well as onto the aircraft’s passenger seats. Thankfully the eggs had a cracking time enjoying business class and didn’t encounter any eggstreme turbulence. While many Boeing 747 aircraft continue to operate cargo flights around the world, this wasn’t an option for El Al, who last year retired its final ‘Queen of the Skies.’

el-al-australia-getty

El Al has suspended all regular flying, resulting in scores of grounded aircraft. Photo: Getty Images.

Twitter user Carmel Libman shared a video of the eggs waiting to be loaded onto the plane on social media:

Carmel Libman כרמל ליבמן@libman_carmel

אל על: כ-3 מיליון ביצים בדרך לישראל, בטיסות שינחתו לאורך היום מחר ובהמשך השבוע. מדובר ב-2 טיסות מליסבון פורטוגל ו-3 טיסות מקייב אוקראינה, כשעל כל אחת 45 טון ביצים@N12News
קרדיט: דוברות אל על

Embedded video

8:03 AM - Apr 6, 2020

Twitter Ads info and privacy

See Carmel Libman כרמל ליבמן’s other Tweets

What do you make of Israel’s egg airlift? Let us know what you think and why in the comments section!

By Tom Boon

So…

what are your thoughts on this?

Let’s just hope they land smoothly :)

Thank You!

14 Likes

Dang that’s a lot of eggs. The captain better have good control of that yolk

12 Likes

hehe

that one cracked me up

1 Like

Seeing all these egg pans makes me eggstatic.

1 Like

this is a pretty egg-ceptional flight!

Surely eggcelent to see such interesting operations around Israel. Sad to see them run out of eggs. El Al saves the day!

1 Like

Very nice idea on behalf of the operators…
Happy late Easter!

1 Like

Hope the pilot doesn’t land too hard or else they will all crack. This thread is eggcellent as well!

1 Like

I thought this was a yoke at first but really eggcited to see this happening!

2 Likes

We should’ve told the pilots to not pull to far bak on the yolk…

1 Like

These puns are becoming egg-streme!

lol

2 Likes

We gotta ask a mod to close this
Some people may get a bit too eggcited

1 Like

Not surprised that it’s coming from Portugal, after all, most of their dishes consist of eggs.

Personal Backgroud

2 Likes

Ok guys please stop with the egg jokes - its getting painful lmao

😂😂😂

1 Like

very interesting…
I guess COVID-19 does bring about some interesting cargo… a plane full of eggs.
I wonder how much all the eggs are worth.
@Robertine this is very interesting thanks for sharing!!! :)

1 Like

He better grease that landing…

2 Likes

LOL so ture…

1 Like

These egg jokes are the opposite of eggcellent, they are not cracking me up. Y’all are gonna have to scramble to find some new ones. Otherwise your going to get boiled, baked, and fried.

2 Likes

Ok guys…
let’s hatch a plan to please @Mattheus

I’m going to try a joke…
I’m going to whisk it…

Hey Mattheus, are you egg-noring all the eggcelent jokes?

1 Like

Sorry, but I am going to have to hatch this to you. These jokes are not sunny side up, you guys pretty much poached them.

1 Like