EGLL vs LFPG attendance

Hello everyone,

There’s a question I still don’t have a full answer, why is everyone (not everyone but you get the point) flying to/from EGLL ?
I know it’s a major airport in Europe with many destinations, but so is LFPG (Paris Charles de Gaulle), EDDF (Frankfurt) and EHAM (Amsterdam Schiphol).
Only speaking about EGLL and LFPG, there’s not much difference if you look at the number of passengers per year. In 2017, EGLL turned at 78’000’000 passengers/year approximately when LFPG was at 69’000’000.

I was looking at LiveFlight Tracker and you can clearly see the difference between EGLL and LFPG:

It’s not something that really bothers me actually, I’m just curious. It’s great to see full activity in an airport on Live, but this amount of traffic in London can sometimes be frustrating. I’ve already been waiting like 20 min to take off from EGLL because of the traffic, or ATC controller rage-quit because of players behaviour make the airport look like a mess.
In my opinion it would be nice if people don’t automatically open Ground/Tower at EGLL but try to control other major airports in Europe.

Source:

6 Likes

You know, I always think the same… Even if there’s ATC it’s hard to attract people. Don’t forget about LEMD! ;)

3 Likes

Heathrow is widely known and pretty much every single airline flies there. It’s a traditional route airlines will do.

2 Likes

Everyone want’s to fly there because of the traffic. And so there’s even more traffic at EGLL… and so on

2 Likes

Yeah, but do people not get tired of flying there for every flight? I got tired after 4 flights, it’s just flat and a boring airport layout. (In my opinion) And I use this airport in real life more than 5 times a year…

2 Likes

I don’t know but it’s a simple and easy airport to fly to. Nothing to worry about really like where to work or whatever. Paris can be slightly confusing.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree with that

1 Like

Because of the traffic there I don’t think. Sadly. It just makes more fun if the airport is full

1 Like

Same for me. First it was great to have Tower and Ground when you land, but then I got tired of flying there after a few flights just to have ATC.

1 Like

It sort of works in a loop. People want to fly where ATC and other traffic is, so they fly to Heathrow. People flying to Heathrow increases the chance of ATC being there as there will be traffic and more players will want to fly there.

3 Likes

From the view of ATC EGLL is more interesting, too. Who wants to control on a field with 3 A/c per hour?

1 Like

This is one of the most famous airports in the world, so people will want to control and fly here. More people come here than LFPG, so more ATC, and more players, so more ATC. It all loops around in a way.

2 Likes

The same can be said with why KLAX and KJFK get more traffic than KORD in IF.

My theory? Ask yourself if, when you drive to work or school (or, if you don’t have a driving license, when your parents or other people drive you), how many roads are there that they could use to get to where you are going? 3? 4? Most of the time there are at least 2. Now ask yourself how many times you use road 3, 4 etc. Most likely you will only be using one road (not counting road blocks, accidents, queues etc). Despite the fact that there are roads that might be more fun to drive you will only use one, every day, every week, every year.

You have options, but here is the thing. We humans like what we like, we don’t like change, we are conservative in our nature, an ancient mechanism that can trace its origins all the way back to the first living creatures. We all go by the good old “If it aint broke, don’t fix it” or rather “If I don’t HAVE to change, why would I?”.

This means that even though you have hundreds of options in infinite flight, which one do you choose? You fly that same old EGLL-??? or vice versa. Just as you choose that same old boring highway to work.

I’ll end by saying that it might not be because that everyone else flies there, or that there are ATC. I think that the true reason although shrouded and hidden from sight is the paradox of choice. Those options you have to take a different road to work, it is too many (even 2 might be 1 too many) same goes for the millions of flights you could do in Infinite flight. The options makes us blind. That is why we drive the same road to work, or fly the same route in Infinite Flight. The Paradox of choice is the explanation to the ancient mechanisms we as humans have inherited from a by gone age.

Please not that this is not an answer to the whole thing, but might very well be one of the key factors!

Sorry for the long comment but I felt I had to write down my thoughts on this is a very interesting topic :)

2 Likes

I agree with the previous mentioned, as much as I enjoy flying into Paris it can be pretty intimidating with the ground layout. As Chicago is Chicago…but that’s what makes it fun! So I fly between Chicago and Paris :)

I would consider EGLL and EHAM my main hubs to fly from. And maybe EDDM when flying from Germany.

If I am honest, I don’t see much attraction in LFPG.

1 Like

Yes- I completely agree- I wish that many more people flew to Paris or Amsterdam

The question is… What made the London Region so popular before global? That is the leading factor as to why EGLL is very well populated now.

As we see, YSSY, PHNL, KIAH, MMMX, KORD, PANC, FAOR, CYYZ and NZAA are world known airports yet you will barely see them filled with traffic (without ATC). Yet we find that EGLL, KJFK, KLAX, KSFO and OMDB are always filled with traffic.

My response to this would be that it’s most likely because of the past regions but then we have OMDB… ;)

2 Likes

Ok but don’t they get tired of flying to London every time ? Like there are so many other airports you can go to (and important ones), it’s sad to go to the same place over and over again.

1 Like

I get bored of EGLL’s layout and it is full of people, so I go to Gatwick instead.

1 Like