EGLL-EGPH Full Flight | Airbus A321

VIDEO HERE:

OVERVIEW

Recently I have recorded a flight I have completed from London Heathrow to Edinburgh. I recorded the flight is for two reasons:

• to ask for feedback from the community on my flying and suggestions on what I could improve

and…

• to provide a gate-to-gate flight which can be used as a reference if needed.

So what do I mean by the second bullet point? Well, I try to fly as realistically as possible. That means I take into account everything that Infinite Flight allows for, even simple things like what terminal and what gate the aircraft in question uses. And since I cannot edit videos for the life of me, I will explain each stage of my flight here, as well as how I do my preparations for the flight. If deemed “good”, it can be used as a reference on how to adapt this method into your flights to make them as realistic as possible. Please do note that this isn’t meant to be a “how-to” for a realistic flight, but just me explaining my flight in some detail.

The flight was completed on the Expert Server, following real-world procedures as much as I could.

PRE-FLIGHT

After I have decided that I wanted to fly the route from LHR to EDI, knowing that British Airways operates its A321 on this route, I have decided to use that as my aircraft today.

British Airways’ A321 (short-haul) can hold 177 passengers. Assuming a load factor of 0.91 (or 91%), I would multiply 177 by 0.91 to get the number of passengers on my flight - 161.

To calculate (or estimate) total cargo for the flight, I multiply the number of passengers (161) by 30, getting 4830 kgs. Assuming there will be other cargo such as catering and other general cargo, I rounded it up to 5,000.

Now that I have these numbers, I would put them into Simbrief to calculate my fuel load. Simbrief tends to be way too generous with the fuel, so I tend to put less in the tank than what it asks for. I would then pop the XML into FPLtoIF.com to get my overall flight data.

If Simbrief does not manually put in SIDs and STARs, I will use FLPtoIF’s in-built feature to add SIDs and STARs to my flight plan, after which I would copy it to then be pasted into Infinite Flight. I would also note what altitude Simbrief planned me for, looking out for any step climbs. Due to this flight being very short, there were no step climbs today.

PUSH, START & TAXI

There isn’t much to put in here which isn’t shown in the video. I started Engine #2 first, followed by #1 after pushback was complete. I used Flaps 2 and taxied to my planned runway, 27R.

TAKEOFF & CLIMB

Take off was with 88% N1 (was a bit too much - I think my calculation was off…) with my V speeds plugged into IF-Assistant to call them out when I reach them (IF-Assistant’s callouts are not recorded in the video for some reason). At 1,500 feet, I lowered the nose and decreased the thrust to “CLIMB” to let the airspeed rise. At around 200IAS, I retracted the flaps.

CRUISE & DESCENT

Once again, really not much to put here either. The cruising altitude was FL340. The cruise speed was Mach 0.78.

I started descending around 150nm out (or 16 minutes away on the ETA) initially at -2,100fpm and then decreasing it to 1,500fpm as I began to fly lower to the ground.

From FL340 to FL250, I descended at Mach 0.69 before increasing my speed to 280IAS.

It was very windy at Edinburgh, so I kept the autopilot for longer than I usually would on the final approach.

TAXI & SHUTDOWN

I used the final exit from the runway and taxied to the usual parking spot for commercial aircraft at Edinburgh. British Airways doesn’t really have a “set gate” they use at Edinburgh (to my knowledge), so I just went for the gate which was the first from the turn onto the ramp.

So that’s about it! Please do leave your suggestions on how I can improve my future flights. I am planning on making a more detailed version of a flight to explain every step of the way in much greater detail.

Disclaimer: As I have stated before, I cannot edit videos. So what you are seeing is raw footage. I would have edited it if I could, but unfortunately, I have no past experience editing videos. Sorry about that!

5 Likes

I was new to editing like you, and I had no past experience. You can start with iMovie, finalcut pro (this name just came to my head so I don’t know if it’s an actual video editor), and if you want to start at more of an intermediate level I would use WonderShare filmora. I like how you aim for the highest realism instead of just parking at the gate closest to the runway and zooming off.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m not planning on posting regularly by any means, but I will look into this software should I need to when making another video.

1 Like