Editing PAMR (Merrill Field Airport, Alaska) for Infinite Flight | Full Time-Lapse

Welcome to the second installment of a video series where I show the full process of editing different airports for Infinite Flight. Although many users, both in the community and out, are unaware of it, each airport in the simulator is manually edited by a group of volunteers called IFAET. We individually draw each taxiway, roadway, apron, and taxi marking in a process that sometimes takes several weeks of consistent work. In each part of this series, I will show a full, start to finish time-lapse of the editing process of different airports that I edit around the world along with step-by-step descriptions of what I am doing and a before and after segment at the end. Hopefully, this will not only provide entertainment for people, but help them better appreciate the effort that goes into each and every one of the thousands of edited airports in the sim. Enjoy!

Merrill Field Airport (ICAO: PAMR) is a general aviation airport located in central Anchorage, Alaska and is the largest and busiest of its kind in the state, with almost 1000 based aircraft. It currently has 3 runways (2 asphalt and 1 gravel), a little over 100 hangers, and so many t-stand aprons that it looks like a parking lot! In fact, at 1072, it currently has more spawns than any other airport in Infinite Flight! This is the largest airport project I have ever completed as of yet. It took a total of about 15 hours to finish, all which have been condensed into this seamless time-lapse video. It presented several unique challenges including a public road that basically splits the airport into 2 pieces, and of course, the massive amount of spawns, all of which were individually named in a process that took about 5 hours. It turned out amazingly though, such an improvement from the original!

The fully reworked airport was added in the latest airport update is now available for all to enjoy in Infinite Flight, so make make sure to check it out after you finish the video and tell me what you think! Thanks for watching, and have a great day! If you want to see more videos in this series, make sure to check out this playlist from my channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3ia30R4riuK8FywYJ70aW8OYjgRqmuZk

15 Likes

Good pick on a fantastic airport! #YesImBias

2 Likes

You can’t lie, the worst part of editing an airport, is naming the spawns.

4 Likes

Yeah… and it took almost half of the total editing time to put all these in😂

2 Likes

Ctrl + V, umm what number was I on again? 😂

3 Likes

Thank you for working on this airport!

2 Likes

No problem! There seem to be quite a few Alaskans in our community that were waiting for this to be done😂

3 Likes

I’m gonna guess this took a total of 20-30hrs?

1 Like

About 15-16 hours of actual editing plus 2-3 of research, corrections, etc. Probably would have taken a lot longer if I did it last year, I’ve gained quite a bit of experience since then.

2 Likes

Incredible work, well done!

1 Like

@PlaneCrazy… Do good impressive Work!
Just a general Question though. “Will we ever see the installation of “RAILS” type systems at HUB “B” Class Airports? If not why not!
Regards, Max

1 Like

We actually do include approach lights when we edit (for airports that have them irl), as we do with taxi lights. Hopefully someday the developers will add support for them.

2 Likes

That makes sense because it’s a pretty good airport for pattern and it has a very interesting history behind it.

1 Like

New lightning systems have been confirmed a few times. They’re currently not ready to release information about, but yes as said above we do add them in, it’s just letting Infinite Flight recognise them and put them into visual gameplay. Here’s an example of what the airports with lights look like on our end:

With the transition thanks to project metal, hopefully all these lights will be added!

3 Likes

@PlaneCrazy…Noted. Suggest include RAILS grid with Symbol (Red Dot will do) Outer, Mid & Final Markers at a minimum. Lights when staff pays the electric bill!
Thanks for the rapid response. No Answer necessary. I know the Drill!
Warmest Regards, Max

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.