Early Morning Cargo Movements | Munich, June 24th, 2020

Hey everyone,

it’s been more than a long week since I last spammed this place with plane pics. Thankfully, an early morning special arrival back on Wednesday allowed me to stop this long time of sadness. Similar to Frankfurt, it once again was very early in the morning when I left home since the special that was expected at 6.45 actually arrived at 6.00am. Leaving home a few minutes past 5 allowed me to also take pics of Munich’s cargo traffic that is hard to catch in light for most time of the year. One of those movements is DHL’s Boeing 757 that came in to land right when I arrived.

The next movement already was the first special of the day. As one plane in a fleet of 3 aircraft, ULS Cargo’s A310 arrivied from Istanbul Atatürk Airport at 6am in beautiful light conditions.

The approach with quite a big nose up attitude eventually ended with burning lots of rubber upon touchdown.

Shortly after, the first of three props of this topic arrived from Luxembourg. Three days earlier I spotted the exact same plane already, but the light was far worse than what I got here.

Another freighter, this time inbound from Cologne, brought more air mail to Munich. In contrast to DHL’s plane, this 757 doesn’t wear winglets but still has the old-style wings.

Prop number two of the day is a bit more special than the Luxair Dash. While we get the latter on a daily basis, Austrian only operates theirs to Munich for a few days now. Before COVID, the flights from Vienna were performed using A320 family aircraft or Embraer E190s. It’s a nice contrast though since the Dash 8 will leave Austrian’s fleet by the end of 2020.

With the sun steadily rising, it was time to leave my spot on the north side of the airport. Since around 8.20 the light is kinda bad on both sides of the runway because the sun is crossing the runway at that time, I decided to try a different angle for the otherwise rather boring LH inbounds that were approaching, such as this A319.

Since no other planes were operating for quite a few minutes after that, I continued to the south to get to the spot I stayed at for the rest of the day to catch this E190 flying for Finnair. You’re welcome @Cameron 😉

The next flight also used to be an Embraer for some weeks now but that day used a Boeing 737 instead (even though it was just the tiny -700 variant)

While we’re slowly approaching the end of the topic, let’s add another round of “Old or New - Which livery looks better?” here. While Aegean’s flight from Thessaloniki was operated by an A320ceo wearing the old colors of the airline…

…the flight from Athens was performed by one of their brand new A320neos wearing the new color scheme. It has been flying since February but it took me a until this week to get a nice shot of their new colors.

From the new, efficient engines of the neo, let’s go back some 51 years in airplane history for the last shot. Operating a cargo flight from South America via Cape Verde, one of Motor Sich’s AN12s visited us for a night stop. The arrival was originally planned for 8 am but a late departure and a speed that made me wonder if it was moving at all made it 11.30 til it finally approached the airport with a huge amount of trailing smoke. This is actually the first time I managed to spot an AN12. Let’s see when I can finally get the 225 as well…

Thanks for visiting this topic! Let’s see what the future will bring regarding movements and spotting trips so you don’t have to wait too long for the next set of pics.

My Equipment:

Canon EOS 80D
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM (99% of pics)
NEW: Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS II USM (for future wide angle pics)

Backup / Old Lenses

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (for the 1% of the cases where I needed a wide angle lens)
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS STM (for the majority of my very old pics, bascially completely replaced by the 100-400 now)

You can follow me on twitter and Instagram to get more shots on a daily basis. Also, keep your eyes open on Flightradar24 where you might see some of my recent shots.

Twitter

https://twitter.com/mba_muc

Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/mba_muc/

My spotting topics on the IFC (sorted by years since this is slowly getting endless)

Spring Spotting 1
Spring Spotting 2 with Lorenzo
Spring Spotting 3 (feat. Hekla Aurora)
August spotting with some sunrise shots
September 30 with quite some special liveries and bizjets
Spotting in Zurich on the way to Cosford
Spotting Laura and more in Birmingham
Spotting in fog with a sunny end

Special planes at Munich - Munich Security Conference feat. E-4B
Valentine’s Spotting 2019 - Civil Traffic around the Munich Security Conference
Retro Time - British Airways BEA A319
First weekend in Innsbruck - Charter Flights in the Alps
Second Innsbruck Spotting Weekend
Bringing Israeli soldiers to Munich - El Al 747
Another visit of ElAl’s queen - El Al 747
Spotting in the Morning Sun - South African Special Livery A340-300
A full day of Spotting
London Calling - Spotting at MUC and LCY on the way to London
London Heathrow Evening Spotting Before the Meetup
London Heathrow Meetup Spotting
Last Day at Heathrow: Landor, Negus and more
Government Jets and New Perspectives at Munich Airport
One Day Spotting Trip to Frankfurt Airport
Spotting Trip to Berlin
A lot of Specials at Munich
Quick after work spotting for a private A340
Another Sunny Spotting Day in Fall
Spotting with a Female closer than 5 miles, so definitely click even though she’s in none of the Pics!!!
Day and Night Shots at Munich
Deicing and more
Condor’s new colors and a big chopper
Stunning Condensations and a Royal 747
Azimuth Superjet and more for the last topic in a decade

Birthday Spotting
The Final EXPO A380
Special Cargos in the Evening
Zurich’s Airline Traffic during the WEF Week
Air Force One Ramp Tour
Air Force One Arriving in Zurich
Heavy Contrasts for Air Malta’s Retro Jet
First Two Days of SiKo - Kuwait A340, Russia Il96
Amazing Security Conference Perspectives feat. Kuwait’s A340 and more
Etihad’s Choose China Livery
Security Conference Final
Trying A New Position for Condor‘s and United‘s New Liveries
Last Specials Prior to the Corona Break
First Spotting Trip After the Corona Restrictions With Some Cargo Specials
50 Years Special Livery on a Rescue Helicopter
Spotting AN-22 in Leipzig
Spotting the Last Departing A340s of Lufthansa
First Visit of Qatar’s OneWorld A350-1000
AN124 and Other Specials in Munich
Spotting in Frankfurt With Several Specials

TL;DR service for @dush19: Actually, I can’t be bothered to continue this any longer but: Planes, Planes, Planes.
@MrMrMan: Look, something new to quote again! You’ll end up in a burnout very soon I fear…
@Marc you’re welcome 😉
@Nathan time to visit this place again

50 Likes

Ooooo fancy @Moritz. I love the tail on the Luxair dash 8. Plus that A320 NEO 🤩🤩🤩🤩

2 Likes

Awesome photos! Currently spotting right now while reading this topic!

1 Like

Great photos! The second picture is the best!

1 Like

Thanks!

Don’t miss your special while admiring the planes here lol

3 Likes

So you DO get normal traffic!

Great shots as usual :)

1 Like

Jesus, the lighting 😍

Loved the last photo!

1 Like

Petition to ban @Moritz from spamming this place

2 Likes

You’re really good at posting a few hours after me.

4 Likes

That depends on the definition of normal. It’s way less than we used to have and I think I’m coming to a point where I can’t stand seeing only Lufthansa airplanes most of the time with nothing else around ^^

1 Like

Do you really want to make yourself unhappy? :P

1 Like

Amazing pics 🥰 love that ULS landing shot.

1 Like

@Moritz where’s the bird? 🙃

1 Like

Didn’t I tell you that tragic story about the bird and the AN12 already?

1 Like

Now that you are here, don’t you have quite a few topics to quote 🤔

1 Like

I think over a dozen 😳

1 Like

I guess some are already closed by now lol

1 Like

Really, really nice pictures once again! Can I admit I am a fan of the standard LH A319 ;)

Very cool specials including the Dash8s and A320NEO, and obviously the Antonov, which I somewhat managed to miss at my home base recently…

Thanks for sharing!

Go spotting in Munich for 7 days in a row and you’ll reconsider that statement lol

1 Like

Seems like everyone’s seen the new Aegean livery now 🙃
Aside from that, nice photos!

1 Like