Dusseldorf Tower Advanced ATC

@StikLover2
Good call on the takeoff clearance cancel. I could barely see that plane crossing the runway as I began my roll. Aborted takeoff and taxi’d back to retry for a successful takeoff.

Good attention to detail. A++ tower service.

-UFO 640 Heavy

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Not sure. Joshua was on both tower and ground, so maybe he can comment.

@AR_AR: Many thanks. I appreciate your words. I wasn’t sure if you were going to continue your takeoff roll, so I went ahead and cleared you for takeoff again- it looked like you were going to make it with some room to spare. Didn’t give you a runway exit either, as I was unsure if you were going to continue taking off or not… We should definitely get a command or something that deals with scenarios of aborted takeoffs and so forth. Anyhow, it means a lot that you took the time to write this. I work hard to try and provide good service, and cheerful words like this here and there really makes my day. (See my reply to Rotate below for explanation on the crossing scenario).

@Rotate: Unfortunately, he was not cleared to cross the runway. In hindsight, I probably should’ve ghosted, but events at Hawaii nearly a month ago made me hesitant to ghost for unsolicited runway crossings. There was this guy that I ghosted for crossing 08L without permission- got quite a bit of flak for that. As far as I know, there was one guy lining up for 08L for takeoff, yet, I got quite the hammering. AR_AR here was definitely rolling, however. It was more of a “in-the-spur” moment for me to cancel takeoff clearance, as I still had that doubt to ghost him (more of a… fearful sort of thing). Ghosting would have been appropriate in the situation, though (the guy in Hawaii hadn’t started his takeoff roll yet- hence the flak). I’m sure you know what it’s like to be caught in a “deer in headlights” sort of thing where you forget for 10 seconds whether or not ghosting would be right in this situation. It would’ve been, but I didn’t think about it at the time and went with the only logical solution- cancel takeoff clearance.

1 Like

No problem. I appreciate you followed through with the scenario as realistically as possible. Maybe you should have ghosted him, but doesn’t matter to me. You handled it well.

And I agree about needing a few more commands to help out here. I would have liked to been able to let you know I planned on exiting the runway and taxiing back.

1 Like