During landing, what do you set up first?

I just tried to trim up to 25% right before the runway, I forgot about my speed and the trim made my thrust go back up, which just lifted me back up. So I’d imagine that most of you aren’t trimming right before touchdown?

What do you set first during landing, flaps, then trim? Followed by lowering speed, landing gear?

I thought that trimming last second would give me the flare I need, but I guess not. How are you guys flaring? If it’s not done by using the trim.

1 Like

The topic I linked below will answer your question. Please search for an answer before you make another topic 😉

2 Likes

I kinda have a second question in here too lol, should I just rename my title

Tend to do my final speed adjustments, flap setings, trim and gear prior to reaching 1000ft AGL. Then I know that I am stable and happy to proceed towards minmums (about 300ft AGL) and continue to land if all good :)

happy landings

3 Likes

On an instrument approach you’re required to be stabilized in landing configuration at 1000’ which means:
-Gear down
-Flaps set for landing
-At Vapp +/- 5kt
-Engines spooled up to maintain Vapp
-On Glideslope +/- 1/4 Dot
-On Localizer +/- 1/4 Dot
The excellent IFOps app takes a snapshot of your parameters at 1000’ and will put those in your PIREP log.

For visual approaches, the stabilization height is 500’ with the same criteria.

4 Likes

Approach

During approach, when reaching the “runway cone”, I usually come in at 180kts (or more depending on aircraft). At that point, I usually have my first set of flaps in. At around 9-8nms out from the runway, I bring my gears down. After that, make sure to reach your landing speed at about 1000ft AGL, and all other landing procedures (Flaps, Glideslope, Localizer) are set. Now just maintain the landing speed for the aircraft until touchdown, and you should be okay.

Also, make sure to follow this statement above. ☝

Helpful Links on Landing:

All Aircraft Take Off and Landing Speeds

4 Likes

Hi, set your Flaps to the final position as well as your final speed.
By changing your trim before, you create the need to adjust it many times as the effect of air will change depending on flaps and etc.

So set everything, disconnect AP and then set trim, it is way easier this way.

1 Like

@David_Lockwood @InfiniteNick

Thank you guys. This helped.

This is how high I ended up getting, trying to trim for a flare. I feel like I’m overthinking a flare, I watched this training video while back and the i remember the instructor guiding the student on the simulator, It was right before touchdown he said “flare” and then continued on by saying “reverse thrust” or whatever.

So it sounds like to me you guys are set and ready to land a few miles out, and having the perfect set up gives you the flare I’m trying to look for? If that makes any sense.

3 Likes

For the most part, yes. In the instructor video you were referring to, the instructor was probably instructing the pilot to do this:

Usually at around 20ft AGL, you cut all engines (0% Thrust), and begin to flare. Then once touchdown, a few seconds later he instructed the student pilot to engage reverse thrust.

2 Likes

Trim, is very much like flaps. They produce lift, but not as much as flaps, due to flaps having a larger surface area.

Setting trim too high, will end up pitching the aircraft upwards. Using thrust, you have to maintain control and you will be able to capture the glide slope correctly.

2 Likes

Here’s a diagram from Airbus:

8 Likes

Correct me if I am wrong, but initiating the flare is done by reducing the thrust to idle and pushing the nose slightly up.

This reduces the vertical speed during final decent and therefore ensures a smooth touchdown if initiated in the right moment.

Also check out all the helpful posts here on this thread.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.