Dublin Airport Taxiways

At Dublin Airport, there are 2 runways, 28-10, and 34-16. While on the expert server, with ATC, they always seem to use 16-34. This runway, in real life, is pretty much never used. Only in very rare cases, due to wind direction and others. Like Gatwick, 16-34 is used as a taxi way for aircraft coming from the north side of the airport, Terminal 1, they would enter using the taxi ways further down the runway, towards the 16 side. But, can also be used to aircraft from Terminal 2. There are already taxi way lines and the marks for aircraft holding short on the runway at the 34 side. But not all planes do line up on 34 as well. The runway that is used pretty much all year round is 28-10. Even if the runway (34-16) is marked green, they are most likely probably using 28-10. When positioning as ATC at an airport as well, you can always check an aircraft finder like Flightradar24 to see which runway is in use.

Dublin is my home airport, and I am sure a lot of other players on infinite flight enjoy flying from Dublin as well. I hope something can be implemented like gatwick, to add more realism.

Thank you for your time. Enjoy your day. All the best, - James. :)

8 Likes

Hey James,

Unfortunately, IFATC are trained and told to use all available runways when controlling and to ignore realistic closings and runway procedures as long as there isn’t a TFR in game.

5 Likes

It would be great for realism. However, Infinite Flight doesn’t get a realistic traffic level. If there are ten planes at an airport IRL, Infinite Flight might be getting 100. This means IFATC can and will use whatever they can to get aircraft down and up as quickly as possible to avoid hour oong or more delays, as these delays would be hjust as unrealistic as using 34/16.

2 Likes

Ah ok, is there something that is different for Gatwick? Thanks for the reply. :)

Oh ok, I understand, hopefully they will still use 28-10 as well then, thank you for your time. :)

Whenever I control at EIDW I try to just use 28-10 as much as possible but if there’s too much traffic I will start using 34-16 too since one runway just isn’t enough. But when traffic is light I try to just use 28-10 as much as I can

5 Likes

I approve this post! However if it’s too busy it’s too busy. Trust me, Aer Lingus VA members don’t like it either. Check out this topic made by myself with a little help from @Declan_Mcgee.

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply. Smart, it just adds so much more realism and it makes the people who are very familiar with Dublin happy. :)

1 Like

Thanks, I just read it. Very interesting. :)

1 Like

There is a TFR at Gatwick, due to the runways being too close to each other for safe operation. Meanwhile, Dublin’s 16/34 is perfectly suitable to be used simultaneously with 10/28, hence the reason for the TFR at Gatwick and none in Dublin.

In short, Gatwick can only use one runway since it’s impossible to use both simultaneously, but using both runways at Dublin is a feasible option.

2 Likes

Oh ok, I understand now. That does make sense. Thank you for explaining. :)

Yes but irl 16/34 is never used so why shouldn’t there be a TFR stating it. It’s nearly the exact same role as 26R/8L in EGKK

1 Like

There’s a difference, though.

At Gatwick, 26R/8L cannot be used at all, due to the fact that it is too close to 26L/8R - planes would clip wings with each other when using the runways simultaneously,

Meanwhile, at Dublin, the runways are totally suitable to be used simultaneously as two intersecting runways. There’s no safety concern or issue with the runway layout being used. I get the whole realism thing, but when there’s more traffic than there is in real life (definitely not realism), there’s no choice but to use it. On the other hand, Gatwick’s second runway can’t be used at all because safe operations would not be possible, hence the TFR. If there was a TFR stating that 16/34 at Dublin could not be used at all, we couldn’t use it in heavy traffic situations, when we could’ve been using it for overflow.

I understand the realism barrier, totally - I feel the same way when I see planes landing on 24L and 25R (actually, 25L is closed at the moment), but given the circumstances of heavy traffic that we’ve experienced in Infinite Flight, unfortunately we have to do it to accommodate the traffic.

5 Likes

I’ve question …
what’s mean [TFR] ?

1 Like

It’s a temporary flight restriction in short terms :)

2 Likes

It means Temporary Flight Restrictions, a restricted area within an airport by the FAA. For instance that runway at Gatwick can’t be used because they are to close to each other.

1 Like

Are temporary flight restrictions, used in Infinite flight ? @Gliding_Central

1 Like

Yes. The red circles you see on the expert server are TFRs

Sorry for stealing your glory @Gliding_Central, oopsie

2 Likes

In the expert server only?

1 Like

Yes they are to support @ToasterStroodie statement and to add to what @ToasterStroodie said you can tend to find that TFR’s most often occur at Infinate flight events to provide information. Like the one @ Gatwick with the runway odd runway closure. As we are told to use all available runways unless operations become a problem. Other TFR’s on Infinate flight include the ones at KASE and KEGE witch you can have a look at in more depth yourself that cover some of their unusual procedure’s if you wish to fly there.

Now back to topic: just wanted to answer your question in more depth :)

3 Likes