Dublin Airport Takeoff Procedures

Hi everyone!! I often provide ATC services at Dublin airport as I live relatively close to it. While I enjoy it, a lot of people seem to be requesting takeoff from the main runway at Dublin(runway 28) in the wrong fashion. I just wanted to clear up the confusion.

As both runways 28 and 34 start at the same spot I can understand why people ask to cross runway 34. However this is incorrect. The same point is used for holding short of runways 28 and 34. When you want to request takeoff from this point you just request takeoff from runway 28. There is no need to ask to cross runway 34. A lot of people ask to cross runway 34 and when I give them clearance to do so thinking they will do the equivalent to lining up and waiting on runway 28 most people see this as their takeoff clearance. This is incorrect. While runway 28/10 is in use, runway 16/34 is used as a taxiway in EIDW. So when you are cleared to enter runway 28 this also allows you to cross runway 34. Anyways hope this helped you guys flying from Dublin airport in the future!!! Love you guys!!!

19 Likes

Judging by that I’m going to assume it’s training server, meaning there is nothing you can do about it. 90% of training server pilots don’t follow instructions from approach and many takeoff without clearance with complete disregard to ATC instructions, let alone let them see this post. There might be a few that are professional, are on IFC and will see this post though.
But, very useful for expert server pilots

1 Like

Yes I control on the TS however I am currently training to control on the ES. But I have also seen this on the ES when I fly from Dublin myself. Also on unicorns on the ES people announce ”crossing runway 34” instead of “taking off runway 28.” Although what you say is very true and I doubt many TS players will see this but hopefully I can control on the ES soon 👍👍

2 Likes

True indeed, Runway 16/34 is usually used for turboprops or during runway 28/10 maintenance.

1 Like

I flew into Dublin from Heathrow on Wednesday and we landed runway 16 because wind ps were something like 200@20KTS gusting to 34knots. It was crazy stuff. But the pilot still managed to butter. We were at a 35° bank angle 5 seconds before touchdown. One of the more exciting flights I’ve experienced anyway. Haha

2 Likes

Coincidentally I just put my application in to Aer Lingus VA two days ago lol

1 Like

It’s unfortunate but just like @ EGKK runway 26R/8L is used as a taxiway IRL, however, on IF ANY runway is fair game (regardless of server…I was told this by a trainer when I was controlling there…calm winds…I got dinged for only using one runway), with a few exceptions (such as pilots and ATC respecting realism. 💥

2 Likes

I know you want realism but, unfortunately it can’t be realistic as there lots of people not understanding (charts, diagram etc…) Hopefully one day it will be realistic 🙏

2 Likes

I haven’t flown to Dublin in ages but somehow I do exactly that! When at the hold short I request take off on 28 instead of crossing 16.

I live in Cape Town South Africa and when IFATC controls in the country I too get irked when they use 16/34 which is not active at FACT.
Apart from that at FAOR 03L/21R is mainly used for take off and 03R/21L used for landing but in IF it doesn’t seem to be the case whether on TS or ES 😂

I guess we can just hope for better days and realism procedures.

Happy landings

1 Like

Well, I also prefer realistic procedures, but due to the fact that airports in IF can get more movements than the real ones IFATC has to use all available capacities. But I feel you mate, I live close to LSZH and this airport is probably the most interesting example of improvised IF procedures…
As long as I get a RWY with an officially published approach procedure I’m happy.

1 Like

Yeah I agree. I’m currently training to become an air traffic controller on the ES and if/when I do I will be making sure to have the charts for that airport out!

Can confirm authenticity

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.