Dual Engine Failure on one side on the 747

I switched off engines 3 and 4 just after lift off and returned to the airport. Aircraft is over max. landing weight, there is no time to dump fuel.
Note: We train this in the “real” simulator . However, it is manageable only after lift off or during very low speeds in the take off run… If 2 engines fail on 1 side between V1 and Vr you will loose control over the aircraft, immediately veer of the runway and hopefully have the time for your last PA call : “Crash!”

Cockpit view:

Tower view:
youtu.be/kkbaT6XCYe8

5 Likes

Can I like this more than once?!! Exelent execution, I could almost hear those claps, thank you for uploading this!

2 Likes

Haha. Re-thought that reverse thrust, eh? Cool vid.

2 Likes

Keep in mind you used more power than you’d have in real life. Jet engines cannot be pushed above 100% or they will also fail.

No you won’t.

I notice you didn’t touch the rudder at all until landing. This just goes to show that, as good as IF is, it doesn’t accurately replicate true flying characteristics.

Exceeding 30 degrees of bank especially with an engine failure? Wrong.
Full flap for landing? Wrong.
No reverse? Wrong.

Also wrong.

1 Like

No they won’t. If you maintain a continuous thrust setting over 100% for an extended period of time, then yes eventually the engines will fail. But for a short amount of time to get some more power, it will be fine.

That’s why we had an MD-88 parked on the ramp for an engine replacement because the pilot ran it at 102% for too long.

Edit: sorry, I did not specify an exact time limit as to how long it’ll take. But it will fail. Anyways, back on topic.

Ok it’s not the N1 that’s an issue it’s the high temperatures associates with high N1 which damages the engine. Usually at take off thrust.

It’s all engine specific anyway and you will see over 100% N1 in the 737 clsssic for most of the climb. The limit is 106%

What can I say! WOW just WOW. keep it up.