• Airport: KIAD
  • Frequencies: Tower / Ground
  • Runways: 12, 19R, 19C, 19L
  • Duration: 2021-04-08T02:00:00Z2021-04-08T04:00:00Z
  • NOTAMs: None

Tags: @Mo_Alz @AsternAviation

1 Like

Feedback from N63CE

1. Don’t immediately send out commands when you don’t know what I’m trying to do. Wait for me to request departure, since you won’t know if which way I’m going or if I’m staying in the pattern.
  2. When I leave your airspace, make sure to advise me I can change frequencies, telling me to say intentions was a lil’ bit pointless.
  3. Pattern entry and clearance was good.
  4. I would’ve stayed longer but my joystick crashed, and I did not want you to see me crash.
1 Like

Thanks Ezzie,

Yeah I wasn’t sure whether you were remaining in pattern or departing. I’ll be sure be a bit more patient, sorry if asking intentions sounded a bit rude. Thanks for flying by! Would you like me to tag you for the next session?

1 Like

Yeah. You can tag me.

1 Like

Session 2 @ KIAD

UPDATE

Session Information

• Time: 2300 EST
  • Server: Training
  • Runways: 12, 19R, 19C, 19L
  • Duration: 2021-04-08T02:00:00Z2021-04-08T03:30:00Z
  • NOTAMs: Traffic Patterns use Rwy 12 ONLY

Hi there
Here’s the feedback from me (HA-BIL)

•On the first Departure you was good to send me Right/Left Traffic. But No needed Pattern Entry (“Enter Right Downwind Runway XX”)

•First that u must know. Say the Left/Right traffic just only once, when im departing, dont put it again on the clearance (if the pilot do the t/g on the same runway)

•When pilot Pattern. Just say :
1.Pattern! (If any airplane change runway)
2. Sequence! (If have 2 airplane)
Example :
“HA-BIL Number 2 Traffic to follow is on Left Downwind”
3.Clearance!
Example :
“Number 2 Clear to land runway 24”

So u should say to me, just clearance "Number 1,Clear For the option Runway XX"

Also i want to ask u about this one, the runway change. I didn’t ask to change to runway. But u give me “Enter right downwind runway 19R”.

That’s it, i hope you be better next time. Tag me if u want
Thanks,

1 Like

Hello Sefian,

Thank you for taking the time to join me! Before you came, I had to work with a very uncooperative UAL772 xD I love the feedback and will definitely give the Clearance next time. Sorry about the extra messages. Would you want me to tag you in my next session?

1 Like

Ofc tag me. Read my feedback again. I have adding somethin’ there

1 Like

Sorry, that was my slippery fingers, I did mean to give you 19C for both times. Great flying by the way, those were excellent landings :)

1 Like

Ahahah thanks!

1 Like

Quick question, Are u in progress of IFATC?

1 Like

I’m hoping on taking the written exam soon. Hopefully within the next week or two.

1 Like

Howdy Drew,

Apologies for the late feedback. Here’s what I observed.

1. 21:44:54Z: The transition altitude you gave me was 1500ft. The correct altitude should’ve been 2500ft or 3000ft. A transition is calculated by taking the airport elevation (15ft at KDCA) and adding 2500ft to it. Since 15ft is close enough to sea level, you can choose to use 2500ft or round up to 3000ft.
  2. 21:47:02Z: Nice left downwind pattern entry for me.
  3. 21:48:19Z: Unnecessary pattern entry of enter right base. Once you give a pattern entry, you shouldn’t be giving more unless the pilot requests a runway change. If you wanted me to turn base, simply say: “turn base.” I was on left base as well, so enter right base wouldn’t make much sense.
  4. 21:48:29Z: Your option clearance was good, but it needed to include a traffic direction. Your initial clearance should include a traffic direction for inbounds, and for a runway change situation. All subsequent clearances do not need a direction.
  5. 21:52:14Z: Clearing me as number 2 was correct, but I needed to be sequenced. All aircraft in the pattern require a sequence if they’re going to the same runway. I should’ve been told “number 2, traffic to follow (United 689) is on final.”
  6. 21:53:44Z: No need to re-clear me to land. An option clearance (which you gave before I reported full stop) covers a full stop landing, touch and go, stop and go, and a low pass.
  7. 21:57:06Z: No exit command, but nice job having me go to Ground. Aim to give exits at 70kts for jets, 30-40 for props (TBMs, C172s, etc.).

Let me know if you have questions! Also, feel free to review Sections 2 and 3 in the ATC Manual for some more info. I’ve linked them below.

2 Likes

Tag me next !

1 Like

Thank you so much Stroodie, your feedback, being extremely specific, will definitely be instrumental in my improvement.

When you first requested a transition, my immediate reaction was, “shoot, what’s a transitional again” so I really appreciate the challenge.

In regards to my patternwork direction, I think I got the overall framework but still am iffy with the specifics, hence my need to practice,

I have a lot to learn and having you is definitely a privilege so again, thank you. If possible, I look forward to hosting you again.

1 Like

Sounds good Fox, I’ll likely be online again tomorrow in the evening of Eastern Standard Time. Hoping to see some new and some familiar usernames!

1 Like

Session 2

SUMMARY

Feedback Summary

• Don’t get ahead of myself; refrain from sending messages too early.
  • Advise aircraft to change frequencies upon departure.
  • Ground Awareness, ensure the aircraft requesting pushback will not interfere with taxiing traffic.
  • Issue Clearance earlier rather than later. Best to do on crosswind or downwind to Sequence.
  • Refrain from issuing runway changes.
  • Know transition altitudes. Calculated by adding 2500ft to elevation. Controller may round up.
  • Clearing for the option. First clearance should include traffic direction. All clearances to follow are assumed.
  • Sequence aircraft. All aircraft in the pattern require a sequence if they’re going to the same runway.
  • Refrain from sending duplicate messages.
  • Give exit and handoff. Full stop landings require exit commands (70kts for jets, 30-40 for props).

Big shoutout to @ToasterStroodie @SierraHotel @Ezzie @Mo_Alz for your considerable feedback and I hope to see you all at my next session later tonight in EST. If I’m missing something here, please let me know. Thanks again to all of you!

1 Like

Session 4 @ KIAD

Session Information

• Time of start: 2000 EST
  • Server: Training
  • Runways: TBD
  • Duration: 2021-04-09T00:00:00Z2021-04-09T03:30:00Z
  • NOTAMs: TBD

Tags: Will be tagged closer to Start Time

Session 3 w/ @Paul_G