Drones vs Planes

Drones have become a serious safety hazard that could soon result in fatalities and the loss of aircraft. As discussed before in another topic, a drone recently hit an Airbus while approaching Heathrow. This shows the urgency to improve drone flying safety regulations, and has alerted aviation experts. Some amateur drone flyers are ignoring the rules anyway, as this drone should not have been flown in a public area nor near an airport. What do you think should happen?

• Ban drones
  • Only allow professionals to apply for a licence to fly them/Restrict areas they are allowed to be flown more
  • Allow drones to be flown by amateurs

0 voters

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/17/drone-plane-heathrow-airport-british-airways

3 Likes

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) has done a period of raising awareness of the dangers of drones to real aircraft but amateurs are still allowed to fly drones, but not too close to aerodromes and too high up…

Time will tell if amateurs will abide by the rules or not but so far I haven’t heard of any problems so yea…

https://www.caas.gov.sg/caas/en/ANS/unmanned-aircraft.html

1 Like

Yeah, hopefully all goes well

1 Like

don’t know about professionals only being allowed to fly, but I think that all should have to get a licence in order to fly it.

never used to be a problem with just RC Helicopters and planes, but guess that’s because they need more skill to build and to fly them, whilst the newer drones can be flown using your mobile phone!! (well some of them!)

4 Likes

It would be safer if it were flown by a government agency, other than that they should be banned in general. Where I live there is tons of bush and people crash drones all day everyday in trees

2 Likes

This is probably cause I’m from the Deep South but I think any unathorized drone in restricted airspace should be shot down!

1 Like

I used to chuck stones and rocks at them

4 Likes

Hahaha surely it was quite fun to strike it down with primal objects 😂

2 Likes

People on my street used them for peeping into people’s houses and the shower Windows so that was why I threw stones and rocks at them

3 Likes

At least it isn’t as ill as the Japanese one… Someone tried to lift some radioactive objects near a significant Japanese figure (I forgot who) but it was on the news…

2 Likes

I think absolutely nothing should happen. End of story. If they wish to be trolls IRL it’ll teach them not to be. Idk.

1 Like

But some people are nimrods… They never learn… Only when a plane goes down because of them, will they finally figure out how severe and how irresponsible their actions are to aviation…

1 Like

Allow recreational category drones to be flown below a given weight category - say below 6kg / 13lbs etc.

Above that weight you need a professional permit and training course + insurance.

This should remove some of the risk - the lightweight drones are more of a nuisance than a real threat to a airliner sized aircraft.
The larger drones cover the risk by having insurance and qualified pilots.

1 Like

You shouldn’t be able to fly them near the runway and a mile away from the airport.

1 Like

South African Civil Aviation Authority (SACAA) regulations for private users says the operator should be licensed and be over 18 years old. Licence lasts for 24 months and should be operated on property owned by the operator (or on property that the operator has the necessary permission to fly on). Distance thresholds are maximum 500m radius and within 300m height from the operator.

Drones for commercial use must be registered with the CAA and requires medical certification, certification of radiotelephony, English proficiency, drone flight training, and passing both a theoretical examination and skills test.

1 Like

Well in the Netherlands is strictly prohibited in all airports as well in urban areas, because there were incidents when drones almost hit aircrafts. Here in Panama where I live now is also not allowed at airports, they can be used in urban areas but beware of the birds😂.

1 Like

Speaking of birds… I once heard that people trained eagles to get rid of drones… Maybe NickChan would call it animal abuse

4 Likes

Well as a person who’s planning to get a job flying and/or operating the cameras on UAS I think that drones should be restricted by weight class. Above ten pounds requires a basic recreational licence for an operator while above twenty should be limited to commercial, limited private, and emergency services use. All are limited to not coming within two miles of a large airfield and one mile for a smaller one without the owners permission. All drones should also have geo-fencing for major airports.

Commercial UAS should require a licence and be allowed to fly out of line of sight. These must have avoidance capabilities if not flown manually and manual flights should have a warning for if you get to close to something. Drones have a real potential to help a huge amount but are really limited in the U.S. at the moment until the FAA passes laws that assist commercial, private, and government UAS while taking basic precautions against conflicts with manned aircraft.

4 Likes

I disagree. I’m not aloud to fly my helicopter at my local park. Where else am I meant to fly it?

1 Like

I think it’s allowed… Just don’t fly it too high and too far away and make sure you’re not near an aerodrome :) Your country’s regulation regarding drones may be different from mine though so best you see it for yourself 😄

2 Likes