Drones Dangerous to the Aviation Community?

YES

As much as the drone community doesn’t want to admit it, yes Drones are extremely dangerous. The University of Dayton Research Institute impact tests prove large aircraft won’t always win in collision with small drones.When a US Army UH60 Black hawk military helicopter collided midair with a small quadcopter last year, the helicopter sustained only minor damage and returned safely home; the drone was destroyed. But tests performed at the University of Dayton Research Institute show that bigger may not always be better in contests between manned aircraft and even small UAVs.

In a test designed to mimic a midair collision at 238 miles per hour, researchers in UDRI’s group launched a 2.1-pound DJI Phantom 2 quadcopter at the wing of a Mooney M20 aircraft. The drone did not shatter on impact, but tore open the leading edge of the wing as it bore into the structure, damaging its main spar. “While the quadcopter broke apart, its energy and mass hung together to create significant damage to the wing,” said Kevin Poormon, group leader for impact physics at UDRI.

15 Likes

The world need stop doing drone in high air and near airport.

4 Likes

Some people are crazy and decide to fly a drone verrry close to an airliner doing it’s flight. It should really stop.

2 Likes

I fly a drone. I love it, and wouldn’t ever stop!

I do, however, try to do it as safely as possible

I never fly above the mandated 400 feet limit, and never near an active airfield, I always use my GPS services to tell me what I’m near and I always try and maintain sight, I never loose track of it and if I do, I use the “return back” function, and I get it back to my sights.

7 Likes

And I respect people who respect the rules and understand safety. As Drones become more and more people respect the airspace less and less.

8 Likes

Exactly. Respect for the rules and safety are 100 percent needed. I don’t let inexperienced users fly and I always tell people when thinking about getting one to stay safe

1 Like

Yes, drones are very dangerous to airplanes. There have been many near misses like Frontier in Las Vegas. I think that there should be no drones anywhere near an airfield. In Canada I think we need more established rules even though we have had any incidents yet. In conclusion I think that drones are dangerous around airfields but can be used in an open area not near an airport.

2 Likes

I am pretty sure that video you are talking about is a fake video, but well made.

4 Likes

That was a fake video thankfully

5 Likes

Really? Wow that was well made! lol

2 Likes

Thanks goodness! Lol

Oh yeah. Extremely dangerous. One guy thought the airliner pilot was responsible for avoiding his drone and even called him crazy in a YouTube video.

When people like that are allowed to get licenses, for anything, it can be really dangerous to others. Those are the people that tailgate other vehicles.

P.S There are strictly regulate FAA rules, at least in my state, it’s just guys don’t always follow the rules.

2 Likes

I had people tell me as a helicopter its my responsibility to avoid them lol

1 Like

IMO, drones are dangerous because they opened a whole new can of worms, and, like Pandora’s box, nothing can be put back in the can. The FAA tried to enforce registering on large drones, but not everyone adhered to that, but also small drones can perform incredibly well too (DJI Mavic Pro for example). There are “restricted places” not open for drone flying, but those are nearly impossible to effectively enforce restriction on. Yup, we kinda screwed ourselves on this one

1 Like

I don’t think we will ever see a real strict thing until a few drones kill people.

2 Likes

Imagine that. At 500 feet away it’s barely noticeable if at all. They think that since you are a pilot you have 1,000,000:20 Vision lol.

4 Likes

Trust me I know how it looks there’s a few guys who fly remote control aircraft right where I typically land the helicopter lol

I would say it is likeable to a bird but even then it’s not as fragile as a bird.

That’s quite the assumption, haha. I wouldn’t put it past a few of them tho

1 Like

I just did the math, and at the max speed for helicopters, 250 mph, you are traveling roughly 366 feet per second. That’s 1.36 seconds between recognizing the helicopter, and evading before a collision. And since when you are on a collision course, the object tends to maintain one “spot” in your windshield, detecting its motion is next to impossible.

I just checked, and the minimum reaction time for humans is .25 seconds. That’s a LONG time. And biology says it can’t get faster than that right now. And what @Robertdiaz123 said is also right, I didn’t take that into consideration.

The copter couldn’t react in time.

The biggest thing that I think would help is giving small drones a TCAS System, although I’m not sure the expenses and weight. It could be just like the “tyranny of the rocket equation”.

2 Likes