Drones and Planes

The new problem in aviation - Drones.

Drones are now becoming a problem in aviation. As more people have access to drones, more problems have surfaced where drones get a little too close to planes, airports. Irresponsible drone operators have put governments in pressure for new regulations, and drone owners in the USA now have to register with the FAA. However, there is still a worrying number of owners that are reluctant to register their drones, in fear of “losing” their drone to the FAA. The FAA has combated this by putting a heavy fine of $250000 or imprisonment of 3 years (max).

What do you guys think should be done?

• More regulations on consumer drones
  • Completely ban the use of consumer drones
  • Other (leave a reply)
  • No comment

0 voters

As a drone owner myself, more regulations are surfacing. We cannot fly more than 400 feet, within 5 KM of airports, historical sites are prohibited, cannot fly over crowded people and within 100 feet of buildings… I can go on and on. The fact is that drones are now a popular product to own, and the numbers are just going to increase.

And finally, if any real life pilots visit this thread, could they share their experience with drones, and if you ever encountered one flying too close for comfort?

This is a repeat I think (but the other one is closed)

1 Like

You should do some more research. Type in drones on the search bar and look how many responses come up for almost the exact same topic. Sorry, gotta flag it…

2 Likes

Yeah it was my bad. Didn’t check before posting it.

Don’t worry too much. There are so many topics it’s difficult to create new one’s. The moderator might keep it going, you never know… Just be careful otherwise people will become annoyed

1 Like

The other thread auto-closed due to inactivity. I’ll keep this one active in case there are some wanting to rehash the drone madness. Cheers!

14 Likes

I feel a lot of people that use the phantom drones have no idea what they’re doing. I’ve had my phantom for about 5 months now and i don’t fly it over 50 feet, that’s where others go wrong. People like to fly it above the clouds, which creates such an unsafe enviornment.

4 Likes

I agree. The rules have been stricter. I even read that authorities now watch Youtube videos, and if they spot that you were violating rules, they would inform you.

2 Likes

I think drones should be banned near airports, but free to fly elsewhere. As a responsible drone owner myself, I can tell you they are great fun if you fly them safely.

6 Likes

Some good news, a drone company has added a “fencing” system to their drones to block users flying near airports: https://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/dji-fly-safe-system

6 Likes

Regrading drones:

I don’t have a problem with drones at all. I, myself, would love to have a drone and be able to fly it. The problems occur when people that don’t know anything about them go out and but them and fly them into approach paths of busy airspace. If they would go here and read how to safely operate them, then it wouldn’t be a problem. You can get a UAV license in no time through the FAA via their online test.

6 Likes

the thing with drones is while they are cool and fun to fly, here in the states one must be properly licensed to fly a drone over a certain weight. many recreational pilots dont know how to fly them and thats when they become a danger as flight hazards. If one is legally licensed to fly one and has met all the requirments i have no problem with them

1 Like

There is a certification process via the FAA. 5 bucks for 3 years certification, but it’s kind of a joke imo.

Hence why the FAA only wants serious people to apply for it

1 Like

I really think they should keep the rules the way they are 😑, Most of us fellow drone pilots know the rules, and we maintain a safe distance from controlled aerodromes. And if we fly them at the airport - they be brought down and you have lost your drone to the government or something like that

1 Like

Whoa! Really only 50feet I fly mine up to 400 feet (120m) the legal limit (In Aus)- I have had mine for about a year. But I’m very cautious about it and I advance slowly from one altitude from another - Ive seen other phantom pilots be very - irratic - with heir movements.

BTW I have a P3S

1 Like

They already are - or that might be australia 3.5 miles or something like that you are not aloud to fly - not sure what the rules are in US

2 Likes

A drone can’t bring down a plane and what about rc planes have they ever brung a plane down

The test was super easy. 30 questions if I recall. For those that already have their pilot certificates, its a rather quick process.

2 Likes

There should be a restricted altitude for drones flying anywhere, and at airports they should use Boeing’s new drone-killer. Or alternatively, they could have an EMP barrier, but that might cause issues with aircraft and radio…

1 Like