Drone sightings over Frankfurt airport, causing chaos in the airport

Hello everyone, today in the morning at Frankfurt airport, a drone was flying over the airport, causing many diverted flights, suspended flights takeoff and landings in the airport.
It was reopened at 14h00…

it was the same thing that happened in Gatwick airport in December 2018.

17 Likes

Ouch. I imagine Frankfurt will have some fun. Almost wish it was over Gatwick again. It would provide me some key spotting.

4 Likes

Oh no… Not this drone stuff again 🤦‍♂️

4 Likes

I lack any kind of understanding on how someone thinks this is okay.

I hope that there will be appropriate legal consequences as this is not only dangerous, but also disrupting the travels and lives of so many people.

4 Likes

At least it’s more economical around the airport. Not in the surrounding airspace though…

2 Likes

EDDF… one of my favorite airports in IF and in real life. It’s unfortunate that some people feel the need to disrupt air travel by flying drones over and too close to the airport. I hope it wasn’t a protestor, as endangering the lives of passengers with a drone should not be used for protest.

Honestly, we saw this happen also at Heathrow, and I think the government’s of these nations need to set an example for this. If they catch them, lock them up.

6 Likes

Got a friend whose stuck there at this moment.

2 Likes

I love drone so much, but not at the airport

2 Likes

remembering the Gatwick drone a few moons ago…

2 Likes

download (30)

1 Like

You are joking - why are people so stupid!

1 Like

Next time, we shoot the drone(s) down.

1 Like

I am a drone pilot myself, and I must say that there are many laws (certainly in the UK now) regarding drone flying. As of a few months ago, I had to apply for a license, and had to pass numerous tests.

In the UK, drones are only allowed to fly below 400ft, and I know for a fact that many modern drones have built in GPS. Mine will not let me take off if I am in a restricted area, such as near an airport. I think that this should become a standard on drone circuit boards (so that people that build there own don’t find a loophole in the law), so that a drone cannot take off within a certain perimeter.

2 Likes

I got the perfect gun.

2 Likes

The trouble with that is, is that the drone could be carrying explosives or something, which means as soon as it is shot, it blows up (or something along those lines).

That’s why they didn’t shoot down the drone at Gatwick way back when.

1 Like

They couldn’t find the drone. Every time it was sighted it went away. It was essentially a tactic so when they did final checks in order to reopen, boom! The drone is back. The military were drafted in to use some new technology, the police were in attendance including snipers but they didn’t have a chance hence the RAF had to assist. In the end it did the trick.

There was no bomb concern, it’s just hard to spot a drone over such a large area and take it down without jamming equipment used by the military.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.