Dreamliner Question

OK, Why is it called the “Dreamliner” when every plane spotting vid I watch they have rough and hard landings even on clear beutiful days:/ so what do they mean???

2 Likes

Hello there @Johnathan_Kwiatkowsk,

Hope you are doing well. I’d like to point you to this article here which will answer your question :)

https://randy.newairplane.com/2011/03/28/behind-the-scenes-story-on-naming-the-dreamliner/

Have a great rest of your day.

5 Likes

I am doing well but I am asking why do they have always bumpy landings?

skip ahead to 1:10
1 Like

It depends on the pilot’s experience with the aircraft.

1 Like

yeah that true, even boeing does not softly land it

So you’re asking why the company branded it with its commercial nickname, based on how you see it land? :P

Just adding to it, some Boeing aircraft, including the 787 is meant to be landed hard. The “butter” landings you see are in real life dangerous, that is not how you should land a plane. It’s meant to be set down, not skid the tires as softly as possible. :)

5 Likes

Think of the Dreamliner as a second name for the 787. The name isn’t supposed to give the specifications of the aircraft, it simply is a way to market or brand the aircraft. The name of an aircraft isn’t really supposed to describe every aspect of the flight either. The landings are generally done by the pilot, showing his/her skill; even with autoland (only on CAT III ILS) the plane can’t always make the landings soft. The way the landings are also depend on meteorological conditions, which can make a landing near impossible sometimes.

I think we need to rember that good landing, and smooth landing are not nessarly synonyms…

It’s called the Dreamliner because of it’s huge windows, lower cabin altitude, wider seat design and a few other things made to enhance the passenger experience.

To add to this, I rember when this topic came up a bit ago, of hard landings, someone dig up some stuff from a 737 pilot manual, and it was pretty explicit that a firm landing was better than floating it, and that you definitely wouldn’t damage anything unless you really slammed it…

One thing to note is that aircraft with higher aspect ratio/lower wing loading are typically harder to land. Interestingly those trends also lead to much greater efficiency so newer aircraft are continuously improving in this way. How they respond to turbulence and gusts is one penalty but it’s a small price to pay for the more efficienct wings. So that’s why you see some rough landings by the 787 and A350. I expect it to be the case for the 777X as well.

1 Like

Indeed! The 737 is meant to be set down firmly. It relies on weight on wheels factor (magnetic pressure sensor on wheel struts) for mechanics such as speedbrakes, autobrakes, FMC reset etc etc… So if you land too soft - they won’t engage… :)

1 Like

That’s actually really interesting, I never thought of that, but it totally makes sense. Very interesting…

I think we can say the moral of the story is that Soft landings ≠ Good landings always…

those landings are pretty normal for the 787 nothing hard about them, also what you see from the outside view is different compared to how the passengers/pilots feel inside, its might look like a rough landing for you but if you’re inside the plane you will barely notice anything,.

1 Like

Having been a passenger a number of times now with different airlines in the 787 I can’t say I have felt the landings are noticeably hard compared to other aircraft.

1 Like

You still get the weight on wheels regardless of touchdown firmness so all those things you mention will still happen. Just maybe a second or two later than you want them to.

Well if you really float it, it could be more than a second or two, and in the 787 in question landing at nearly 200 mph, 5 seconds is nearly a thousand feet, so on a minimum leingth runway of 5,000 ft, you’ve just used up a fith of you’re runway without speedbreaks, etc…

2 Likes

The “dreamliner” marketing is to describe how passengers will feel. Passengers don’t see how a plane lands, and believe me, I’ve been in a 789 and a 788 many times and the landing was super soft, even though you felt a drop near the end, meaning they probably didn’t butter.

Yeah sure. I’m just talking about the difference between a firm touchdown and a really smooth touchdown.

1 Like

I suppose you’re correct there, but then you can start talking about the tire skid and wear… But yeah. :P

That wasn’t bad at all. Commercial jets are meant to be flown onto the runway rather than a few inches above and “stalled” onto the runway like a GA plane-if you watch a few GA landing videos, you’ll hear the horns blaring on landings.

1 Like