“Drag and Taxi” Feature

Well I understand that, but like I said that would be impossible

1 Like

I think this discussion sums one thing up quite well:

Get to the point of what you’re requesting right away. Don’t spend 20 lines explaining why, before you have even requested what it is you want :)
This is a general observation, and not directed to @GolferRyan personally. But it could be used as an example :)

Most of us missed what he was actually requesting as it was in the end, and basically 2 short sentences while the reasoning came first together with a bunch of text.

So, how should we proceed now? I can’t make a decision. Lol

8 Likes

@schyllberg maybe merge the two? Is it possible to combine votes if they do merge? Just curious, I know it’s not my feature request :)

1 Like

Understood. Good advice for the future :)

3 Likes

I wish we could as both are great requests. But it’s technically not possible I’m afraid.

3 Likes

Oh alrighty. Maybe @GolferRyan’s could take some inspiration from @Ethan_Chloe123 and it could be a “joint-feature request?” I’m not sure.

1 Like

I just want the public to have a good idea of what I’m requesting. I took long lengths to make it clear what it is exactly I mean when I say “Drag and Taxi”. I included a picture and explained in deep detail. However, long explanations aren’t always the answer. @GolferRyan’s post explains it in three or four quick sentences. @GolferRyan has more votes but mine has more explanation. @GolferRyan I swear that I did not steal your amazing idea, this just came to my mind a couple weeks ago and I had to wait till I was TL2. So idk 🤷‍♂️ lol.

4 Likes

Lol great minds think alike I guess 😂

6 Likes

Haha I guess! I think we should’ve taken to a PM. Oops 🙊

1 Like

I’d love to see the actual airports (maybe just the runways and taxiways and pavement) visible in the map, as opposed to just the runways like we have now. Being able to guide pilots would be an added bonus.

In my opinion, an entire ATC rework that includes this would be great.

8 Likes

This is brilliant. I have got to vote for this. As IFATC, this would make ground so much better.

6 Likes

The ATC ground experience needs to improve, and I see this idea as a quick opportunity for that. The biggest challenge will obviously be to display the airport layout in the map, but I am sure it can be done.
You got me vote !

5 Likes

I know that there has been a general desire for better ground commands. When and if we get these improved commands is unknown, but there’s no doubt this would be a great add to the sim.

While this drag and taxi system doesn’t seem too complicated, I think it could be difficult for controllers to run tower and ground frequencies at the same time, especially in more crowded airspace. Additionally, not all airports are edited accruately, many of them having taxiways that aren’t parallel to those in real life. I’m not too sure how this will affect drag and taxi if added and how hard it is to add taxiways to the map for the developers. Of course, our wonderful airport editing team can take care of these airport errors, but like this feature request, everything comes with time.

To recap, I’d definitely like to see this in the future. How long it may be, no one really knows but, these kinds of feature requests are helping bring realism to the game. Thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

In my opinion, I think, like ATIS, this feature should be limited to the expert server.

The real reason is that expert contains pilots who are serious and want a realistic experience. We can better read airport charts. If you don’t know how to read the charts, we can always learn.

We can read the charts before pushback and while we taxi. It’s like a map we are trying to follow.

I like this idea! Prevents pilots from going in undesirable taxiways while other pilots are taxiing in them.

7 Likes

Would love to see this!

5 Likes

Thank you so much for requesting this. I’ll free up a vote immediately. Yesterday on expert I thought about exactly that. Warsaw has 3 entries to runway 29 and no one knew which one to use, this could make things so much easier. But if the ground system gets an upgrade, the taxiways should get letters like in reality (it’s enough if the names of the taxiways and runway entries get „painted“ down in those red boxes with white numbers, this way we wouldn’t need the 3D yellow-black signs, which are complicated to add). This could be done in an overhaul of the airports with adding taxi lights at the same time. Also the map would need an upgrade as we can’t see taxiways/parking areas at the moment.

I know how much effort this would take, but everything could be done step by step. It would enhance the whole experience soo much, and I’m sure more volunteers would help keeping the airports on the newest standards.

In this case like described above, the tower ATC probably couldn’t be the ground ATC at the same time. On expert it shouldn’t be a problem, but for TS the „old“ commands could be used, this way it wouldn’t be too hard to control tower and ground and there would be a noticeable difference between expert and training in terms of ground ops.

9 Likes

Voted, this would be an amazing and much needed addition to Infinite Flight

4 Likes

This would be such an amazing feature! You got my vote!

3 Likes

This is on the same lines of my “Airport Map” feature request except in flight plan form…

1 Like

Oh, this has my vote! This is such a great idea to have!

3 Likes