“Drag and Taxi” Feature

I might suggest a compromise on this; since we now have a well-established system for procedures in place, why not subdivide that into airborne and ground procedures? What the IFAE team could then do is standardise procedures to a terminal area from a runway depending on direction of use. That takes it completely out of the controllers’ hands and becomes the responsibility of pilots as it probably ought to be

4 Likes

It would be good, but I struggle to see how it could be implemented well. The best and easiest way probably is the drag and taxi method, it’s simple and easy to follow and allows changes.

1 Like

Well I presume the reason it’s not yet been implemented is because most pilots simply plot their own taxi routes having studied a chart of the field. That works for most but what do you do when you accidentally turn into a taxiway and you’re facing an oncoming aircraft? Back up or just bail out, right? Traffic management is often best solved with standards (that’s what SIDs and STARs were created for!)

2 Likes

Progressive taxi instructions are already in place to prevent this. (not that everyone follows them)

1 Like

Yep, sure, but that’s a real pain in the batteries for controllers and frankly I’ve not heard them used in active areas whenever I’ve been on frequency. It’s just ‘taxi to parking’ and that’s it. Maybe that’s just my timing and I’m not trying to do down the IFATC by suggesting they don’t use it, but I kinda feel it would solve both issues at one stroke

2 Likes

I totally see your point and love the idea, but in terms of Infinite Flight I don’t think it would be the best. The drag and taxi however would be great, it allows controllers to have control over the airport even more. SIDs and STARs can’t really be related to this topic as they’re a whole different ball game. Progressive doesn’t always have to be used, it depends on layouts and traffic.

1 Like

This is definitely an awesome idea !!

2 Likes

Absolutely need this!! Voted :D

3 Likes

This would be a great feature! Hopefully it comes in an update soon!

2 Likes

As a pilot…great idea! As an aspiring controller…great idea! Voted!

2 Likes

Voted!

This would be really cool, great idea

2 Likes

This is something we need!!! I hope I can get a vote for this later

1 Like

Just voted, hope to see it soon

1 Like

Very nice idea!
I voted it!

Bumping this, because quite honestly it’s needed, especially with a full-fledged ground map already in the sim, and terminals coming soon to IF.

This is much needed in the sim! It also makes taxiing for the pilots less confusing.

I read it and it was amazing! Having this feature will benefit both the parties (IFATC & Pilots)!

Also, a suggestion from my side would be instead of naming the taxiways (which will be difficult to name at all airports) it can be implemented as:

Pilot: xxx, ready to taxi with information Alpha.
IFATC (after dragging action): xxx, taxi as shown to Runway xx, contact tower when ready!

This would be the added realism to this sim that would just fulfil the users in every way. The enjoyable factor of navigating an ATC controlled airport with ground atc having the ability to give instructions like that would ensure that the realism does not stop as soon as you have left the runway.

As a fellow IFATC, I would really enjoy controlling ground once this feature makes its way into an update this year! ;)

1 Like

386 votes is a lot 🤔🤔