“Drag and Taxi” Feature

please don’t

As I IFATC this would be very helpful. I’m cleaning up a vote for this.

2 Likes

I’m surprised to see my feature get another bump in interest! The addition of taxi maps in the new update is definitely in the direction of this feature. Thank you again for all of your feedback and thank you all for hanging in there! Progress takes time, and support is the key for feature implementation.

Thank you everyone!

2 Likes

@Ethan_Chloe123
Why not have pre-set taxi pathways the same way SID, STAR or APP appear on the map?

It would help harmonize airplane taxi procédures and even more so make the job easier and faster for the ATC Ground controller.

2 Likes

That’s not a bad idea. In fact I like both these ideas, the drag and taxi feature is a must. The. having preset taxi instructions would also work. For example; FNF, it busy and there are planes coming and going, and the controller for a specific airport that is open has to tap the plane and hit a suggested taxi path, then if you are in training server for example, you can do the drag and taxi. We do need these, and I personally want this in the near future.

2 Likes

But I fear that this feature will be abused by training server ATC

@Aryan_Sharma ⬆️

Lol didn’t see that
I’ll give it a vote once my votes from 77W liveries get free.

1 Like

Yes but we need signs then ITS gonna be so much more realistic in my opinion

Little bump…

this should definitely be in 20.3, it reduces clog and is a great quality of life improvement. You have my vote!

1 Like

I just imagine someone taking this and making you go on every single taxiway in the airport lol

1 Like

Wow i just read this topic and i became it’s fan. First of all great job @Ethan_Chloe123 for providing good amount of details for the topic. Ground controlling sometimes becomes only a matter of 2 commands i.e. pushback and taxi. By introducing drag and taxi command, it will be a very strong factor in ground controlling. People will surely try to grab ground more at busy hubs and tricky airports where you need to taxi through specific taxiways. I mean i would surely opt for ground more.
I still feel that you might not be able to name the taxiways as of now round the world so i feel the commands can be like,
Ground Frequency: pilot tuned in
Pilot: request pushback
Ground: pushback approved
Pilot: ready to taxi
Ground: taxi to runway xx via path shown on the map, contact tower when ready.

This gives the option for controller to use the drag and taxi tool for specific taxiways and also he can simply allow taxi to runway xx for normal taxing.
This would be a great fit for ground controlling and i hope to see this in the future. Good Luck!!

2 Likes

We have to think about how this would be implemented. Realistically speaking, IFAET would have to input the taxiway names, which could be very time consuming to get accurate information, and maps with up to date names. Its a nice idea but would severely push the IFAET back. Especially with project metal in the not so near future. So I would agree with @MJMN s approach. Because naming the taxiways would be a severe set back to the editing team.

Question. How would this work with planes with live cockpits? I m all for this feature but as a guy who doesn’t use hud with planes with live cockpits, I m confused how this would work. Could anyone explain :)

I can explain @Vishark107 . Even inside cockpit you can open hud, if you don’t want to do that then we have seen there are simulators which highlight the taxiways which is intended for the aircraft to taxi so just for understanding purpose i am sharing one picture which should not be taken in wrong sense. I just want to explain my point.
Disclaimer: This is just for understanding purpose.

In the above pic you can see the blue lines indicate the taxiway. Pilots can follow those to taxi towards the runway and back to the gates after landing. Also today we experienced heavy fog at VIDP so this can be a good way for aircrafts to understand taxiways in realistic conditions so that they don’t get confused as they can’t see anything in the fog.
There can be 2 methods:

1. Ground controller can let you taxi on your own and give commands like give way, progressive taxi, hold position, continue taxi, etc as happening currently.
  2. Ground controller will use drag and taxi method to specify the taxiway with turns so that they can give you a clear path to taxi to avoid any conflicts with other aircrafts, especially with landing aircrafts. Also this would be helpful for ground to taxi the aircrafts from one terminal to other terminal by simply drag and taxi tool to avoid monitoring aircrafts every second and every taxiway just to give a new prog taxi instruction.
    Ground is an important part of IFATC. We all love to do it. But if i am being honest, sometimes ground is not the most fun thing to do and sometimes results in lack of concentration for ground controllers. By the addition of this tool it would bring a new excitement into the ground controllers. Fingers crossed!!
8 Likes

This is an awesome idea…Ground controller’s work would be easier especially when there is lots of aircraft…

1 Like

Great idea, it would be nice to see this feature in the next update along with this one "Grace-Period" for Opening ATC Frequencies !

1 Like

I wouldn’t want this to appear on the outside of the aircraft (doesn’t look nice), but if the ground controller drew the route on their map, what if it appeared on your map the same way a hold assigned by approach does?

2 Likes

There can be one more solution for that. Like we have option to enable hud inside cockpit view, in the same way they can do is create the feature in which the taxi route is displayed on the taxiways and also on the map and it is pilots option to enable it. Just like landing aid. It’s pilots discretion.

1 Like

Wow @MJMN I love the idea of changing the command to “displayed on map” (or something similar) instead of inputting the worlds taxiway names! I also love the idea of putting arrows virtually onto the taxiways, thanks for the picture too.

2 Likes