Dozens of B777s grounded after the incident in Denver

Yep, a lot of 777s are now grounded after the incident. Japan Air, ANA and United all operations with the 777 planes with the Pratt & Whitney 4000-112 engines.

Update: Now there’s a controversial situation with the PW engines. This week, several planes with these engines had to make an emergency landing.

US plane manufacturer Boeing has recommended grounding all of the 777-model aircraft which have the same type of engine that suffered failure and shed debris over Denver on Saturday. BBC News.

Hope that Boeing can solve this issue soon.

18 Likes

If you ask me, this is a rather big blow to Boeing as well as Pratt & Whitney. Since many 777-200ER and 777-300 (Non ER variant) use this engine option.

It might be a engine thing or a United maintainance issue. We’ll just have to wait and see.

1 Like

Yup. But If im correct, there was multiple incidents about that

1 Like

If there were multiple accidents with the PW4000, then it might be an engine fatigue thing. Hopefully it isn’t.

It’s sad to see, but it is what it is.

However, in my opinion, this isn’t a Boeing Issue, I may be wrong but, nothing like this (that i know of) has happened to this Work Horse of an aircraft, it’s been in service for over 20 years, (once again, i may be wrong)

I think it’s a United Issue with maintenance

1 Like

Probably, but why some airlines grounded these planes…?

It’s because of the engine. Many 777 use the Pratt & Whitney PW4000, so they are taking a “better safe than sorry” standpoint. They need to get their 777’s checked out prior to letting them fly.

1 Like

I’m supposed to fly 4 of these in a row in December…

2 Likes

I do agree, I believe that this is an engine issue

1 Like

Well it’s not necessarily direct to boeing, but since they are the manufacturer of the aircraft, airlines will likely look to them for answers.

Like I previously said, either an engine issue with Pratt & Whitney, or a United issue

1 Like

Hopefully its an one off issue and not something else more concerning.
The fact of the matter to ban the Pratt & Whitney 777 engines would suggest something more concerning.
I hope its not the latter

1 Like

Yea, I also agree with what you are saying, airlines are going to go to Boeing for answers. But has this happened with other B777-200s in the past 20 something years? Because if not, then it’s a Pratt & Whitney issue

2 Likes

The incident involving a Cargo 747 aircraft suffered an explosion in Netherlands, ironically on the same day as Denver 777 incident, is this linked to same Pratt & Whitney engines? Probably not since its a different aircraft

Have you got a source to this?

1 Like

747 Cargo incident? Gimme a min

Yeah that one! Cheers

1 Like

here you go mate:

1 Like

@Kedz you beaten me to it 🙃

1 Like

aha, i seen it this morning so i had it prepared in the browser

2 Likes

Ah! You had it prepared already on the browser so you had the advantage getting it posted here quicker lol

1 Like