Douglas DC-6

Douglas DC-6

Hello everyone and welcome to this feature request !

Recently I spent a lot of time in doing some research about the beginning of commercial aviation and watched a lot of videos of “old school” aircraft.
I’m slowly understanding why people love aircraft from this time cough cough @Butter_Boi and found out that that there is no feature request for the DC-6, the bigger brother of the DC-3, thus I request it now !

About the DC-6

The Douglas DC-6 is a piston-powered airliner and cargo aircraft built by the Douglas Aircraft Company from 1946 to 1958. Originally intended as a military transport near the end of World War II, it was reworked after the war to compete with the Lockheed Constellation in the long-range commercial transport market. More than 700 were built and many still fly today in cargo, military, and wildfire control roles.

Specifications

Crew: Three to four
Capacity: 48-68 passengers
Length: 100 ft 7 in (30.66 m)
Wingspan: 117 ft 6 in (35.81 m)
Height: 28 ft 5 in (8.66 m)
Wing area: 1,463 sq ft (135.9 m2)
Empty weight: 52,567 lb (23,844 kg)
Max takeoff weight: 97,200 lb (44,100 kg)
Powerplant: (4x) Pratt & Whitney R-2800-CA15"Double Wasp" radial engine, 2,400 hp (1,800 kW) with water injection each
Propellers: Hamilton Standard 43E60 “Hydromatic” constant-speed props with autofeather and reverse thrust
Cruise speed: 311 mph (501 km/h)
Fuel capacity: 4,260 US gal (16,100 l) / 4,722 US gal (17,870 l)
Range: 3,983 nmi (7,377 km)

Liveries

The DC-6 had about 261 operators if I counted correctly.
Here’s a full list !

My opinion

I think the DC-6 is an aircraft full of history and experiences thus making it so interesting. Today most DC-6s are inactive, stored, or preserved in museums; although a number are still flying in northern bush operations in Alaska and Canada, while several are based in Europe and a few other DC-6s are still in operation for small carriers in South America. I would love to do some bush flight missions in Alaska or fly with it in South America. The design, the sound and just everything brings me back in the old days and I can really imagine how flying was back then !

Bonus video

Make sure to vote for it if you want to see it in the near future !

Definitely voting! Love this aircraft and it’s slow slow stall speeds! @Swiss says it can land almost anywhere!

2 Likes

Thanks for your help !

1 Like

Absolutely beautiful aircraft, I’ll for sure clear up a vote for it.

I’d love to see the DC-6 in IF someday. Maybe it could be the next propliner in the sim?

Photo Credit

2 Likes

I’ll have to see if I can free up a vote for this, but as for now know I support this aircraft.

Adding the DC-6 does solve a few issues:
-Lack of prop airliners
-Lack of classic aircraft

edit: casted vote to this

2 Likes

Thanks for your vote, @Butter_Boi :)
Would love to see it ! It would open a new world as we don’t have that much retro aircraft.

Thank you !

Totally agree with you !

2 Likes

You got my vote! Great idea!

2 Likes

Thanks for your help !

1 Like

Would love to do some bush missions in IF ! Although we have no gravel and dust flying around I think it would still be a lot of fun :)

2 Likes

That propeller sound! That would be amazing to hear at airports in IF.

1 Like

Everyone: being in their silent and modern aircraft at the airport
@Butter_Boi and I: doing a transition
Everyone: “Wow I didn’t know there are thunderstorms in IF.”

2 Likes

Would love to hear those noises in IF one day

2 Likes

I’d love to see this in IF! Lovely aircraft!

2 Likes

Take a look at this classic cockpit !

Is it touch ?

2 Likes