Douglas DC-6

(My friend’s personal picture)

Douglas DC-6

The Douglas DC-6 is a piston-powered airliner and transport aircraft built by the Douglas Aircraft Company from 1946 to 1958. Originally intended as a military transport near the end of World War II, it was reworked after the war to compete with the Lockheed Constellation in the long-range commercial transport market. More than 700 were built and many still fly today in cargo, and wildfire control roles.

The DC-6 was known as the C-118 Liftmaster in United States Air Force service and as the R6D in United States Navy service prior to 1962, after which all U.S. Navy variants were also designated as the C-118.

Today the DC6 is still used all over the world, the largest operator being Everts Air Cargo out of Fairbanks, Alaska operating 14 DC6s. One DC-6A based in the UK is used for private charter, another one is owned by Red Bull based in Salzburg, Austria. DC-6B V5-NCG “Bateleur” is in use with Namibia Commercial Aviation. And several are in use as freighters or waterbombers in Canada.

More detailed information on the history

In April of 1949, US Airlines were flying these all around the United States. United flew these to Hawai’i, Braniff flew them to Rio de Janeiro, and Panagra flew Miami-Buenos Aires; KLM, SAS, and Sabena flew DC-6s across the Atlantic. BCPA DC-6s flew Sydney to Vancouver, and Philippine flew Manila to London and Manila to San Francisco.
Pan Am used DC-6Bs to start transatlantic tourist-class flights in 1952. These were the first DC-6Bs that could gross 107,000 lb (49,000 kg), with CB-17 engines rated at 2,500 hp

From 1977 to 1990, five yellow-painted Douglas DC-6Bs were used as water bombers in France by the Sécurité Civile. They were registered F-ZBAC, F-ZBAD, F-ZBAE, F-ZBAP, and F-ZBBU

Different DC6 models

DC-6

Initial production variant produced in two versions.
DC-6-1156 a 53- to 68-seat domestic variant with 2,400 hp R-2800-CA15 engines
DC-6-1159 a 48- to 64-seat trans-ocean variant with extra crew, increased fuel capacity to 4,722 US gallons increased takeoff weight to 97,200 lb and 2,400 hp R-2800-CB16 engines.

DC-6A

This is the freighter variant; fuselage slightly lengthened from DC-6; fitted with cargo door; some retained cabin windows, while others had windows deleted. Originally called “Liftmaster” as USAF models. The rear cargo door came standard with a built in 4,000 lb lift elevator and a Jeep. The Jeep was a public relations stunt and shortly after, was dropped

DC-6B
All-passenger variant of DC-6A, without cargo door.
DC-6B-1198A a 60- to 89-seat domestic variant with 2,400 hp R-2800-CB16 engines
DC-6B-1225A a 42- to 89-seat trans-ocean variant with increased fuel capacity to 5,512 US gal increased takeoff weight to 107,000 lb and 2,500 hp R-2800-CB17 engines.

DC-6B-ST
(I can provide pictures of this if requested)
Swing tail freighter conversion to the DC-6B done by Sabena. Two converted, only one survives currently stored with Buffalo Airways

VC-118
United States military designation for one DC-6 bought as a presidential transport with special 25-seat interior and 12 beds.

Liveries

Air America
Alaska Airlines
American Airlines
Alitalia
Avianca Cargo
British Commonwealth Pacific Airlines
Braniff International Airways
Buffalo Airways
Cathay Pacific Airways
Civil Air Transport
Conair DC6 Fire bomber Tanker 50
Everts Air Cargo
Everts Air Fuel
Icelandair
Iran Air
Japan Air Lines
KLM
Los Angeles Dodgers
Namibia Commercial Aviation
Northern Air Cargo
Pan American World Airways
Pan American-Grace Airways
Red Bull
RNZAF No. 40 Squadron
Southern Air Transport
United Air Lines
United States Air Force
United States Navy

Specs of the DC6s

DC6                      DC6A                     DC6B
    Crew:                                  3 - 4 
    Passengers:  48 - 68                   28,118                  42 - 89       
    Length:      100 ft 7 in               105 ft 7 in             105 ft 7 in
    Wing Span:                             117 ft 6 in
    Height:                                28 ft 5 in
    Empty Weight:   52,267lb               45,862 lb                55,357 lb
    Powerplant (4x) Pratt & Whitney        Pratt & Whitney          Pratt & Whitney 
                    R-2800-CA15            R-2800-CB16             R-2800-CB17
                                       Double Wasp" radial engine                 
                              2,400 hp Water                       2,500hp Water
                                     Injection each                 Injection each
    Cruising speed: 270 knots                            275 knots 
    Fuel complicity: 4,722 gal.                                      5,512 gal.
    Range: 	         3,983 nmi            2,948 nmi Pax Mayload      2,610 nmi Pax mayload
                                          4,317 nmi Max Fuel         4,100 nmi Max Fuel
    Service Ceiling:                   	  21,900 ft                  25,000 ft
    Rate of Climb:                        1,070 ft/min

My personal opinion:
I would love to see this machine on here, it’s a beautiful aircraft for her age. the fact we are able to still in real life. Infinite Flight lacks propeller and radial engines, this would be a great way to introduce the radials to the infinite flight world. It can be used everything from Bush Flying to over seas operations to charter flights!

Unfortunately I got no votes, but this would be a great addition! Would be awesome to have some oldies in the sim…

3 Likes

I’d love see more radials #GottaLoveTheRadials!

4 Likes

I’m out of votes but it sounds interesting. I like old planes

1 Like

What a beauty! I’d love to see more “traditional” airplanes in the game, be it the DC-3, DC-4, DC-6, Super Connie, …

The DC-6 would be a great start.

3 Likes

It be so nice having these, I fly in Anchorage where several are based at and it’s so fun watching them leave. I’m jump seating on one soon hopefully!

Agreed! It be so awesome to see the radials put a dent on the game

2 Likes

You are absolutely right! I would love such classic aircrafts as well but you did forget the JU-52 or the Martin Mars on your „list“ 😄.
But I am afraid the last one would need animated water or so.😅

4 Likes

I would vote if I had any!
This would be a fantastic thing to have in IF, a bit of a historical twist would be great.
Maybe an “oldies” update in the future??

2 Likes

We need get support!

1 Like

That would be an awesome livery to have ;)
Was taken over by Qantas

1 Like

I would love to see the old aircraft like this! It would be so cool! We would have to get exhaust added to the engines to really get the full effect of these aircraft though. :)

1 Like

We are in desperate need of some old piston aircraft! This plane is beautiful and iconic and a must for IF. I actually caught the Dc-7 in this same livery yesterday on one of my flights, take a look!

2 Likes

I never knew that, that’s super interesting!

1 Like

I think there’s a crowd for these, if we could get a few you never see me fly another aircraft again

2 Likes

These liveries would be worth adding. Both used as an US president airplane.

This VC-118A was used by Kennedy in 1960

This VC-118 modified to be used by Trueman in 1945

4 Likes

Imagine seeing these fly around IF that be absolutely beautiful!

I hope I do not see them flying around.

I hope I do fly these Oldtimers around!

1 Like

Me too! We need get more votes this plane I am pushing for. It’s a very unique aircraft and it just make the game that much better plus it’s a radial!

1 Like

I have seen them recently in the BOAC livery in the Netflix show „The Crown“.

1 Like