Don't know heading (help request)

I am a person who does not know heading but wants to help people get to their destinations safely. If anyone can help me I will be very happy and you may help me be a better ATC. You can do this by helping me learn heading like me telling planes which heading to go

2 Likes

Hi! What exactly is the point of your topic?

4 Likes

I want to know how do do heading

2 Likes

You find your heading located at the bottom of the screen when in HUD or cockpit view, In this image of Marks, where it says “heading”

For example to turn to a heading of 050 you would start a bank to the left untill the number reads 050. Hope this makes sense :)

9 Likes

No I mean like know which way to make a plane turn as a ATC not how to turn heading when I am flying

1 Like

You cannot control an aircraft when you’re ATC. You can advise them to change their heading, but it doesn’t mean their going to listen.

3 Likes

That is what I want to do!

2 Likes

You cannot control the aircraft, as you’re ATC. Contact an IFATC to help you further, as I’m a pilot and have little knowledge and experience as a controller

3 Likes

ATC would say something like “N822JX turn left heading 050,climb maintain FL180” this is called a vector.

Find the aircraft you want to issue the command to hold over its icon and drag where you want it to go, This is indicated with a purple line. The app will then tell the pilot where to go like the command above.

3 Likes

Watch the tutorials on youtube.

3 Likes

Nice I did not know that

2 Likes

This video explains what you want to do :) This is the official tutorial created by FDS

9 Likes

You can control heading only when you’re controlling radar frequencies, not ground and tower. If you want to ask a pilot to change heading, hold and drag the aircraft icon on the map screen to the desired location, giving you options to assign heading and altitude changes and clearances.

Edit: Take a look at this tutorial. Skip to 1:00 for the explanation of the drag and vector feature.

4 Likes

It’s drag to vector so drag from the plane to where you want it to go and it will assign a heading, you can also assign an altitude if you want. This is only available on radar frequencies

2 Likes

360 degrees in a circle. 360 is due North (essentially, technically there are offsets, but forget about those for now), 090 east, 180 south, 270 west.

A downwind leg is parallel to runway heading, opposite direction. If you want a plane to fly a downwind to runway 9, for example (which is approximately heading 090, as Approach, then you would assign them 270. Right base would be 360, left base 180, and so on.

How to do it as a controller would be to tap on a plane on your freq and drag the pink vector to a specific heading and send that heading to the pilot.

Specific headings are unavailable as tower, except in the sense that giving a pattern entry of right downwind would mean a specific heading 180 degrees away from runway heading, base 90 degrees, etc.

If your question is actually what a heading is, watch the tutorial and fire up the Google machine. If you’re truly unsure of what a heading is, please don’t control approach or center until you are.

5 Likes

The definition of a perfect answer right there…

2 Likes

Thank you all for the help! I now understand!

These are the approach tutorials

These will get you where you to be. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.