Don't agree with ATC instructions today

Was departing out of WMKM today at approxmetly 1130 UTC. I was flying an F14 callsign AirForce 2 21. I followed ATC instructions straight from taxi and was granted clear for takeoff. I carried out an unrestricted climb straight from takeoff to FL180. During the climb I was maintaining 250kts below FL100 and then accelerated once I had passed through 10,000ft. By this point the Tower Controller had already approved my frequency change. He then piped up again telling me to “Maintain slowest practical speed” and to “follow instructions”. Although I well clear of his airspace AND I was around 15,000ft so there should be no speed restrictions. I had already told him I was departing to the east prior to take off. Can someone please contact his controller and remind him of his AOR whilst he is a manning the TOWER position.

1 Like

If this was advanced were you going over 550kts Ground speed?

1 Like

It was advanced. I can’t confirm that as I was using airspeed. However I was in an almost vertical climb so I would imagine the ground speed wouldn’t be as high as 550kts

1 Like

The only reason why he told you that was because of this.

5 Likes

Anyway, were you ghosted?

1 Like

Roger! I wasn’t flying more than 550kts I can assure you. No I wasn’t ghosted i left the game in a hurry in fear that I was about to be incorrectly ghosted.

Are unrestricted climbs allowed?

Below 40,000 ft on advanced server , Ground Speed GS above 550 kts is NOT permitted.

1 Like

I was your controller and I just had to quit to show you this,

8 Likes

Ground speed, not air speed

I was not going faster than 550kts as I was in an almost vertical climb. The point of this post is highlight the point that a tower controller was trying to give me instructions whilst I was at FL150+…

745 > 550kts in my books…

8 Likes

Ground speed, not air speed
Ground speed will be higher than your air speed

IF possibly can’t determine your lateral ground speed. It’s not utilising a real GPS. I would assume it just calculates your IAS with your altitude and presents an equivalent ground speed, even if you were travelling vertically

Noted! I hold my hands up on this one I never have ground speed featured on my screen which I’ll now be changing for when I’m flying high performance aircraft. The developers should defiantly include an In game warning for this restriction like they do with with 250kts speed restriction. As I would never have known about this had it not been for this post.