Does VNAV account for changing speeds?

Question is in the title: can I rely of VNAV to give me an accurate top of descent even though I change speeds throughout my approach? For instance, for the 737 the descent profile is .78/280/250, so does VNAV consider this?

short answer: yes

1 Like

It will adjust vertical speed as needed.

1 Like

As said above, your VS will be adjusted, however it is unwise to change to a very slow speed while in VNAV. This may cause you aircraft to pitch down by a lot and overspeed.

That shouldn’t happen. You might stall though.

1 Like

It’s your responsibility to slow down during descent, especially when needing to comply with speed restrictions below FL100. VNAV will adjust itself to the best method of descent for your speed

1 Like

It sure does. Tested and verified today on approach to my home airport KORD.

It works like a charm. To bad my APPR transition wasn’t as smooth due to a 42 knot crosswind upon final into KORD from an incoming thunderstorm in the region.⛈ ⛈

1 Like

I might start prefering RNAV approaches now. Follows the glide slope really well using VNAV. Just need to set altitude to just above airfield level for the waypoint on the runway.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.