Does this make sense?

So I was thinking just a few minutes ago, about why if my luggage is heavy, I have to take out some things and put it in a carry on just for it to go on the same plane. Does it make sense?

1 Like

Never had such experience…but i think it’s the opposite. When your carry-on is over the allowed weight thats when you move some items to your checked luggage. Sometimes you can just pay for the extra weight.
Besides that…there’s weight allocation/distribution in the cabin i guess

If it’s a checked bag, ground crew will have to lift those, so there’s a weight limit in place so they aren’t carrying excessively heavy bags.

In theory both hand luggage and checked luggage have restrictions in terms of size/weight. If only one is exceeded (e.g. the weight of the checked luggage), you can still use the capacity that is planned for you by the airline in the other luggage type. It’s also worth noting that aircraft have two capacity limitations: volume weight and mass. So if every checked baggage would have a very dense and heavy content that fits into the checked bag, the aircraft might have a significant decrease in performance and some structural limitations of the belly area where the luggage is stored might be exceeded.

Guess it’s quite obviously not a really aviation/physics-driven rule but rather an economic/business rule: your fare includes a certain amount of baggage allowance and if you exceed that you’ll pay for it or find another solution (using spare space in your carry-on)

Yeah, there are weight and balance factors but I’d go as far as to say those can be neglected when it comes to 1kg more or less in one specific suitcase (yes, there are many suitcases on a plane so this could theoretically sum up but on a realistic average it won’t matter after all)

1 Like

You’d be surprised at the amount of airlines that have no carry-on restrictions for weight. I would say that 30% of the airlines I fly have no weight restriction for carry-ons.

And yes, it’s true that most airlines make money off the 23 kilograms (or 20/18/15) rule for checked bags, but some planes can’t fly with every bag at 32 kilograms. Additionally, fuel prices mean that the lighter the plane, the cheaper the fuel.

Even if carry-on weight is unlimited, its size restriction and average luggage densities limit weight transfer from checked luggage.

The combination of weight limits for checked baggage and volume limits for carry-on maintain a manageable total luggage weight, crucial for flight safety and fuel efficiency, when averaged over all passengers.

It’s reasonable to assume airlines have models established for how the individual limits collectively affect aggregate weight and balance.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.