Does this happen with anyone else?

Bro, I had the sammeeeee thoughts like you, so I flew from yesterday from ZRH - PEK with 88% of load and it worked. Maybe at the climb between 32’000 to FL370 I lost 10knts

Take Off 85% - 2800 V/S

Up to 3000ft - 10000ft 2600 V/S

< 10000ft 2200 V/S

Try it ;)

1 Like

Alright will try !!

1 Like

But jfyi I lost between 32000ft - FL370 10knts but then it came very fast back.

How much FL did you climb to directly ?

1 Like

FL370 sir :)

But you know. That’s why the procedure Step Climbing exists :)

That’s why I used the word directly…coz you generally do step climbs with that weight aane long routes !!

1 Like

true you‘re right :)

1 Like

Because it’s an F22 meant for extremely high climb rates.

A heavy passenger airliner and a high mobility fighter jet are 2 very different aircraft.

True…I mean why to bring up a fighter jet in this thread 😂😂😂

2 Likes

What is your N1% over FL100 when climbing at VS 2500 FPM at 75% load . Set your VS FPM to keep your engine thrust and load lower than 92 or 90 % N1.

at 75 % max weight over 10,000 ft. climb would be 2000 to 1500 FPM VS max. This would keep your engines running within spec and not burning too much fuel in the climb as well.

1400 to 1000 FPM climb is Airbus data if my memory is correct , look it up.

Follow published Airbus A330 performance data.
why make it up ?

I was thinking that since green dot speed presumably corresponds to a fixed AoA, would one monitor the holding of an optimal AoA for L/Dmax during climb, in order to target that benefit of the green dot speed(?). Or would one climb most effectively when heavy at a speed other than green dot speed(?), due to say, greater engine efficiencies at a different speed. I would think this has relevance but I don’t know the answers to these questions.

1 Like

Which green dot ?

Just don’t use an a330…

When he says green dot, that means the ideal climb speed in a clean configuration with an engine out. We don’t have that speed displayed in IF unfortunately. The idea here is to fly that speed on your climb out. I usually don’t do that though, I get a good climb out with 250kts at 2500 up to like 18,000 even with heavy loads. Do you accelerate after takeoff? I tend to climb to 1500 AAL and pitch down a little and set climb power to increase my speed, then after reaching 250kts I will continue the climb up, that usually helps me.

2 Likes

On the A330 @ 75% Load / 90% N1 I can only climb at +1500 initially until my speed increase but this is changed by weather and Airfield altitude etc.

If you continue to have issues then maybe plan a fuel stop to decrease your initial take off weight?

1 Like

Assuming this is a good “both engine” speed for climb as well, my first guess on how to find it without the green dot marker: for a given engine setting, carefully adjust pitch to find the IAS that gives you the best sustainable VS.

I’m wondering what’s wrong in this thinking(?)

2500 FPM is high. Look up the climb rates at varying altitudes and speeds …its all published data for real 330’s . Of course there are some variations and situations but the specs are there to see and follow in IF.

The A330 family are slow climbers when heavy don’t expect a rocketship. 2400 FPM is max.

Mach climb at .78 is 1400 to 1000 FPM max, if I remember the specs correctly.

Step climbing when at or close to MTOW is usually required with the first step in the FL330 /FL320 levels max. Higher will run your N1 high and fuel flow high.
Again read the Airbus specs.

Just going to drop this feature request here. This would fix a lot of these problems mentioned. By having the FLC/speed mode, it allows you to set a speed to climb at. The autopilot adjusts the pitch and therefore V/S to maintain the selected speed. This avoids stalls, allows for more optimum climb profiles, and reduces the pilot workload!

3 Likes

I’ve never had an issue with any of the 300’s.
Key is learning their movement more in real life than sim.
There are plenty of flight deck videos on YT to watch that show pretty much everything.
She’s not a set and forget aircraft. Manual flying with the big lady is sublime and should be encouraged, as for some weird reason, a great deal of feedback from her is part of her charm.
Like the princess 787 they need loving and direct attention. When you do, they fly like glass. Smooth and polished!
Example:
Fully loaded long haul 330Neo:
Adjust weight accordingly. I tend to run a bit heavier front load on cargo. Helps her climb out smoother.
Flaps 2 for takeoff
Stabilizer trim: 27-32 positive
Thrust: roll up to 89-91%
V1. 155
V2 162
VS 15-1700 fpm / gear up quickly to reduce drag.
Let her stabilize @ 15-17fpm and continue climb to 12k or thereabouts reducing trim continuously to 15-16 and bringing flaps in continuously as she gains speed and stability.
Smooth non jerky turns if banking out of an airway.
Once the big girl is settled you will know as speed will pick up naturally and you can reduce trim to nose her back to 12% or less for continued climb to cruise as she gets good lift.
She’ll continue a steady climb to cruise without incident. In the sim she likes to fly 35k eastbound and 36k westbound as a cap. I find when loaded, keeping her at 31k east and 32k west until below 80% weight consumes less fuel burn and stays steady. Fly’s like a baby if you follow these simple guides!
Remember, She’s not an Xcub and can takeoff in feet. Long slow climb is key. Slower graceful and steady is key to win her over.
Just my take and experience with her.✈️🙂

2 Likes