Does Plane Spotting Have to Be on a Professional Camera?

Hello, IFC,

This topic used to be about comparing cameras but the discussion went a whole different direction, so I changed the title to make it appropriate.

3 Likes

It’s a hard thing to do. Dare I say impossible. The awswers are obviously if we look at megapixels, and focus speed, but what camera fits your hand? Do you have cannon, Nikon, Panasonic, or some other two people of lense collection, to get adapters, or God forbid a whole new set of lenses may move a camera up a whole price bracket or two easily. Do you have familiarity with one brand or the other? I know all the ins and outs of my cannon, but if you gave me Nikon, J could probably figure it out, but all the modes and stuff are different. Do you plan to use your camera for video, photos, or a combination? My point is that “the best” is very elusive.

2 Likes

I understand, but for example, I like the SX60 HS because it is small and has 260x zoom…

I feel like I should also throw in there, that the different types of spotting you mentioned could all be easily done with a half decent body, it’s the lease that makes a difference for close up photography, vs high altitude…

2 Likes

I agree. And even the most experienced on here have only used one, max two cameras, let alone 2 cameras in the same price range listed. It’d be everyone naming their own camera or whatever camera has the most MP even though that has very little bearing on how good a camera is.

6 Likes

Exactly. I mean I have a T6 right now, and I don’t have any other data points. I’d call it good enough, but it’s hard for me to say if someone else’s camera is better. Even if we post photos so much is left up to skill, lenses, lighting conditions, etc…

3 Likes

I’d say that you can’t really say what the best camera is… each person gets a feel for cameras differently

3 Likes

If I’m being honest, todays iPhones work incredibly well! If you’ re not a professional photographer, I see no need to spend hundreds unless you really wanted. I was even able to make this time lapse and edit it on an IPhone 6s!
Check it out below!
https://youtu.be/-uKhdwEX-CA

Like & Subscribe!

1 Like

Using a cell phone does not classify it as spotting.

Why not??? Not everyone has a lot of money but imagine if you wanted to take pictures of airplanes but you did not have enough money to buy a camera, you can totally use your cellphone. (IMO)

1 Like

I’d say it does. Check this one too
https://youtu.be/9CRJRJ2SHQA

2 Likes

I know they’re not professional, but neither am I!😁

1 Like

To be fair they are coming darn close. My phone has a “telephoto” lense that is 56mm, same as one of the lenses I use to spot, and has probably atleast 90% of my cameras image quality. If your just trying to snap a pic to say been there, seen that, not going for jetpand what not, I think it is good

1 Like

Spotting is conducted with cameras, which are used for photography. Do you see professional photographers using their iPhones to take pictures of you?

The zoom and quality of pictures are not the same. I’d place every cent I have on the fact that a phone can’t pull out a picture like this.

5 Likes

It’s spotting in a looking at plane sense but not in a photography sense

you need a new camera :)

6 Likes

Exactly. You ever see those “shot on iPhone” commercials on TV? Sure, they’re probably heavily edited, but they’re still really good photos

Who says spotting needs to be done with a full blown camera?

1 Like

It doesn’t but you’re like not even scratching the surface of spotting. But if you wanna just take a few quick pics I see no harm

4 Likes

I am going to have to change the topic name to “does spotting have to be with a camera or not” :D

2 Likes

I found a website showcasing some of the best photos taken by an iPhone! Take a look! Some of them are even better than legit cameras!
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/02/apple-highlights-best-photos-shot-on-iphone-around-the-world/