Does IF have a polygon limit for the cockpit models?

I’m making a list of things to do when my GCSEs are over. Working with the IF API to make some helper app is on there. ANYWAY, another thing on the list is have a try at 3D modelling. I love IF so I thought trying to model a cockpit would be cool (probably massively over-estimating my intial skill level right there, but eh, I’ll try anything). What is the polygon limit of the cockpits? (I’m presuming there is one because of the app being on mobile hardware). While I’m questioning about modelling stuff: do you guys work from structural plans/blueprints of the cockpits, or does knowledge/lots of images work well enough to model from? Thanks.

3 Likes

@jarno80 Is the one to ask about 3D modelling.

I might be interested in 3D modelling aswell a bit after my Matura ;)

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll see who he is!

EDIT: “as well as modeling the 3D aircraft cockpits” Ok, yeah, I think you found him 😆

1 Like

Modeling the cockpit is quite complicated. Had my go at it and well… Jarno is definitely the guy to ask! Good luck!

3 Likes

Yeah, I usually get an idea like “yeah lets give this a try! yay for trying new things” and then a few hours later it’s: " This is way harder than it looks. Damn". Jarno hasn’t been active since May, but we will see!

I’ve worked a little here on the 737 MCP. This took me about 2 days when all said in done. Virtual Cockpit would probably take about 2 months as your rough time estimate unless your Jarno… haha

11 Likes

Wow mate that looks really good! I think having blueprints would make a big difference on the length of time it takes. I guess you’d start off with the basic shape, and just add buttons and instrument panels gradually on top. Easier said than done though xD But yeah, that looks fantastic - what software is that?

Thanks! This is AutoDesk Inventor but if you’re modeling for games and such, 3DS Max is preferred.

2 Likes

I took a class in AutoDesk Inventor last year, quite complicated.

3 Likes

What did u do this on

He said it before

3 Likes

Bit more to show what you can do in 3DS Max. :) Note I didn’t take note of the amount of polygons in this.

7 Likes

Is that a CRJ1000?

It’s a CRJ700 :)

2 Likes

Now is not curved like that on the front ;)

1 Like

Yea I’m remodeling the front as we speak :)

1 Like

Sweet, can’t wait to see it :)

Sweet! I don’t know what graphics library the devs use in infinite flight, but OpenGL doesn’t support quads. That model still looks fantastic though!