Does anyone else have trouble doing long hauls on an iPad Mini 4?

Hi everyone,

I have a question for some of you long haul IF pilots out there, I have been wanting to do some Long duration flights (EX: Sydney to Heathrow) and was wondering if it would be a problem having my device on for such a long period of time.

Device Information…

-iPad mini 4
-Approximately 6 months old
-Up to date software

Your opinions on this topic would be very appreciated
Happy landings ;)

2 Likes

It should work fine :), I would keep it plugged in and have all apps in the background closed, it should work fine!

2 Likes

Ok, thanks for the help!

2 Likes

No problem! Happy to help :)

1 Like

If your going to be with the device I would recommend keeping it unplugged. Keep the device brightness at the lowest possible setting.

2 Likes

Keep the brightness at low and maybe turn the graphics down
I recommend using the scenic camera and make sure your charging your device 😉

Some people complain of device overheating but you shouid be completely fine ,
I do overnights regularly and I manage just fine

5 Likes

Alright, thanks for the tips :)

Why the scenic view, just wondering. Is that so the image doesn’t freeze on the screen?

Keeping it unplugged on my device kills the battery, and my flight wouldn’t last as the device would die! That’s the issue for me

1 Like

Alright, That would probably be the same for me.

My battery can last a long time. If I’m with the device I prefer to keep it unplugged to avoid overcharging. (I don’t know if that’s a thing I like to play it safe)

Make sure limit frame rate is on, low power mode and once at cruise lower your brightness fully to avoid having your battery drain quickly. Leave it on any camera as it’s not an OLED screen.

OK, Thank you for all the help!!!

Following up to what everyone else told you, I use the iPad mini 3 and have used it for flights up to 15 hours, so you’re fine!
EDIT: I usually start a long haul after my battery hits 100%. Then I disconnect the cable, lower the brightness and so on and so forth. In this way I could get around 3 hours of flight time losing around 60% of battery. Obviously it’s up to you. Just putting it out there. :)

I’m not a mobile device expert although i have moderate amount of knowledge about them, and based on what i do know, your device should not have any major issues, you should be able to do a full length Long Haul flight.

Do as others has said above to keep your device running without experiencing any issues with it but the most important part of your flight is to plan your flight properly, so don’t run out of fuel halfway to your Destïnation or something else happens with the flight itself. So let me run through some easy steps and guides to get you up in the air and soaring high above the clouds on your long haul journey :)

Simbrief is a excellent website to use to plan you next long haul, it’ll give you a sort of a pre-flight check list of how much fuel you should be carrying and what the maximum takeoff weight is at and all other important stuff you may want/need to know about your upcoming flight :)

As for Altitude and Speed, each aircraft as you probably know, flies at different speed, so keep yourself to their usual/normal Cruise Mach Speed.

Down below you can find the long haulers we have in IF, and their respective Mach Speed at Cruise ALT.

• A330/A340 - Mach .82
  • 747-400/8I - Mach .86
  • 777-200LR/ER, 777-300ER - Mach .83-.84
  • 787-8/9/10 - Mach .85

Also another vital part of flying a Long Haul Flight is to stepclimb, i.e. If you are doing Perth-London, then you can climb up to let’s say FL390 right away, that flight specifically begins at FL340, then after burning fuel for a few hours then climbs to FL360, then FL380 and lastly to FL400. You gradually throughout your flight climb and climb :)

Here’s a tutorial on how to properly stepclimb, also check out QF9’s flight path and how it stepclimbs throughout it’s journey here :)

Hope this helped, if you have further question, either ask them here directly, and I or someone else here on the forum will be glad to help you or PM me if you more inquiries.

I Wish you a Good Luck with you future Long Haul Flight and Have a Great Day Sir!
// JR

1 Like

Apple has a built in feature where it slows down charging once it reaches 100 percent so you should be good

Your device isn’t too old, so keeping it plugged in for long periods of time should be a-ok.
However, I might turn on “Limit Frame-Rate” if I were you just to be safe.

1 Like

Most modern day devices doesn’t overcharge, thanks to our advancement in technology, a device can sense when it’s close to be fully charged and as you said “gradually slows down the charging process when it starts to near 100%”. But keeping it plugged in for too long will not make it burn or explode rather the Lithium-Ion batteries inside your device will get reduced battery capacity issues, as both heat and a high charging voltage do cause Lithium-Ion batteries to age faster.

In the past we’ve seen mobile devices burn and blow up from overheating, well that overheating now doesn’t cause as much sudden damage to you or itself anymore, more or less, it basically nowadays still gets damaged by overcharging but it’s a long term effect and it does quietly and slowly. So it’s still no good having it plugged in for too long but you shouldn’t worry about the device doesn’t anything rational as catching fire.

Keeping you device in a cool place, where it won’t heat any faster than it would normally is good thing to do, not to put in right in front of a window where the sunlight may hit it and sta heating it up, but not in freezer either, so find a place at home where it’s slightly cooler than normal room temperature and out it there, and you should be golden :)

2 Likes

Also, if you want to avoid overheating with your phone and/or the charging wire, I would recommend putting a fan close to your device. This should allow the device to hopefully stay around the temperature of the room (with a fan it should be chilly).

Safe flight!

Matt

Thank you the links will help so much!

1 Like