Do You Use the HUD

When flying in IF (Mainly Landing) do you use the HUD? I use it when I land and during cruise but I don’t use it on takeoff because to me it makes the game feel more realistic. I’m thinking about going into solo and doing short flights between close airports and practicing not using the HUD because the last thing I need is to be on final approach after a long flight and slamming my plane into the ground because I don’t have the FPV. And for people that dont use it, do you have any tips or tricks

6 Likes

I do, except on the aibus a319, 20 and 21

2 Likes

I use the HUD if the plane doesn’t have live cockpit.

6 Likes

Great question. Some of us were tinkering around when the DC-10/MD-11 and the TBM were released. Landing without HUD while in the cockpit view was pretty tough at first but this new challenge added an element for some of us that don’t fly aircraft in real life. It really helped correlate what pilots in real life described to sim pilots.

Good luck, once you build some confidence move from Solo to the Casual Server and do some circuits to nail them crosswind landings!

14 Likes

100% always during takeoff and landing

1 Like

I always use the HUD, I dont if the aircraft that I am using has live cockpit though

Yes, but once the live instruments arrived I got used to it better, the live panels are very good

I do on every model except the A320 family, XCub and A10 because of the live cockpit.

1 Like

I’m still very much a ‘huddie’.

4 Likes

I use HUD MAP only for live cockpit

I am using HUD when i am flying a plane without live cockpit and also when i am grinding landings in the X-Cub. During normal flight in planes with live cockpit i don’t use the HUD, but i am still using HUD MIN when landing

1 Like

I always use hud. Even in an aircraft with live cockpit.

I always no matter if I’m using live cockpit or not use the HUD just so I can keep an eye on my speed so I don’t get violations

I keep using/needing it for landings only. I hope I’ll manage to land without hud in the up coming new version of the TBM!

1 Like

And the 172!

1 Like

When flying a GA aircraft on IF I try to fly without the HUD and FPV. It creates a more realistic experience for those specific planes. It certainly took practice with a tad bit of trail and error, not impossible though. Every aircraft behaves slightly differently, plus live cockpits have contributed to successful landings without. Best of luck! If unstable report a go around and give it another try.

Tip: I’ll utilize the status bar for relevant/ essential information needed. Practice makes perfect!

2 Likes

I use it when I don’t know the plane. In the 737 for example I don’t use that

I never really flew with the HUD. It’s kind of annoying to have when taking off or landing because it interrupts me when im trying to be accurate. I also liked to be realistic all the time so the HUD was never really something to consider since you don’t have a large HUD in your face all the time. Now that I’m flying in real life I’m actually quite glad there isn’t a massive HUD in front of me all the time. I recommend that you use the live instruments provided in aircraft with live instruments to sharpen your senses and know what it’s like to actually fly like it is in real life.

1 Like

In the Cub I can land without the HUD as its fairly slow landing speed and very responsive to throttle input if you start to stall out, though my approach is always too high. I’ve never really got the hang of it with any other aircraft.

1 Like

I use it all the time because I want to know how much my speed is and my altitude as well. It’s easier to see when it’s on the sides rather than on the bottom. Plus, I want to make sure I don’t over speed, as the left side shows u the max speed you can be at.

1 Like