Do you use STAR,SID and Approach charts in flight?

Hey guys!
I want to ask you some questions.
Do you use charts(approach chart, arrival chart, departure chart etc…)in flight? And why?
Please tell me this answer if you wish.
Thank you!

6 Likes

Personally i dont.
When IFATC is controlling, ill let them handle everything.

3 Likes

It’s always fun to use these airport charts for realism. It also teaches you more about reading charts and the understanding of it. This may help you for your future plans in aviation. I don’t have always time to read them and all that stuff.

5 Likes

Nope, I never use charts.
But if there is IFATC I will always listen to them since they know best.

2 Likes

I do sometimes when I want to be really serious about the flight I will look into departure and approach charts but like said above when there is IFATC you really don’t go along your own route they vector you into the airport and do an amazing job at it so yeah

3 Likes

I never used to use charts but recently I have been. It’s pretty fun using them and plugging in the altitudes into the VNAV on IF assistant. I’ve also been able to understand how to read charts a lot more since I’ve started using them too.

1 Like

Only use charts really for hard and fun approaches! Otherwise not really!

And like what everyone else is saying about IFATC. Never use charts with them!

1 Like

I’ll use them for departure and only for arrivals if there is no ATC but yes I strive for the maximum amount of realism possible.

1 Like

Personally, yes - just about always, unless I am just going for a real quick flight.
I also follow them on approach with IFATC in the hope that they leave me alone (especially when it’s quiet) for the most part. Unfortunately, IFATC officers - trained or untrained - are currently unable to recognise when someone is following a STAR properly with how the simulator is. Waypoints don’t really show on the radar screen, so it’s near impossible for them to track and realise what a pilot is doing without extremely good knowledge of the established routes.
In other words, yes I do use charts with and without IFATC. Believe it or not, they don’t always know best.
Furthermore, in real life ATC officers (for the most part) are there to ensure collisions are avoided. Aircraft still follow their preplanned routes, and don’t typically get vectored unless there is a mistake or the procedure they are following says so.
So yes, for realism’s sake I do indeed follow charts, even with ATC.

5 Likes

I use charts, but sometimes if I feel lazy, I don’t

1 Like

I do not because I am to lazy.

1 Like

I always try to use charts. While I can’t use them with IFATC radar controllers (they can’t really see them), I always try to use them without ATC, and tend to avoid ATC for the purpose of using charts. I’m a very realistic flyer BTW :)

2 Likes

I also like using the flight planning websites to develop my flight plan. When I am ATC I look at the charts.

1 Like

I use charts combined with FplToIF on most of my IFR flights. Charts add realism.
When ATC/ATIS is present I just follow instructions.

1 Like

I use charts from navigraph 95% of the time. The only time I dont use is when I’m getting vectors etc from IFATC because you should always listen to them.

3 Likes

Always. SIDS, stars, and IAPS even though they’re a pain to input increase realism a lot

1 Like

We do not have working vor/dme so using charts isn’t that fun as in PC simulators but yeah, I’m using charts from time to time.

1 Like

The Navigraph is paid app or free app?
I used it before, but I could see just only few airports.

Yes, I do use charts, but only for airports that are challenging. For example, I use charts for the approach into VQPR (Paro), and LOWI (Innsbruck)

2 Likes

The only charts I use are airport diagrams so I park at the correct gate.

2 Likes