Do You Use SID and STAR Charts When You Fly?

Hey y’all! I was wondering if anyone else uses the Standard Instrument Departure (SID) and the Standard Terminal Arrival Route (STAR) when you fly! I personally use them all the time, it makes for a much more realistic flight in my opinion. Here is an example of a STAR. It is the TEJAS Four arrival into IAH.

SIDs and STAR’s basically help the flow of traffic in and out of an airport by assigning speeds and altitudes for traffic at certain waypoints.

I’d like to hear everyone’s opinion on using these in IF…do you use it? Is it a waste of time? Let me know!

When in uncontrolled airspaces

8 Likes

Hey, I think this might be a duplicate @Matt737

1 Like

I use it in my planning and use the charts every time I fly in and out of uncontrolled airspace and will even fly it as much as possible even if there is a controller online, as long as the controller allows me.

2 Likes

I sometimes use them, but not always. :)

2 Likes

I never use them, I just follow atc instruction

1 Like

Same here. If it is controlled, I’ll still have it in my plan, but of course, if ATC assigns different vectors, I’ll follow those instead.

1 Like

All the time. I use the Navigraph charts which gives me the ability to load my FPL from simbrief with the updated airac cycles into the chart viewer-it’s almost like foreflight now!

2 Likes

I use them every time I can. Sometimes IFATC doesn’t allow it though. 😞

3 Likes

Yes! There’s no flight that I go on where I don’t use them. Right now I’m flying RKSI-KATL and I made sure to use a SID out and STAR in.

I know you said in an uncontrolled airspace, but even if an airport has ATIS, Ground, Tower, Approach, and Departure, I’ll still use them. IFATC presence makes no difference to me when I’m making my flight plan. All I do is use FPLtoIF, create the flight plan, insert the SID and STAR, and I make sure to communicate with ATC.

If there’s departure, or approach acting as departure, I’ll just check in, and go on my way. If they give me a vector on my way out, then I’ll (obviously) follow their instructions. On Approach into an airport with active approach services, I almost always get vectored away from my flight plan, but that’s fine! Following directions is most important.

Anyway… went on a bit of a tangent.

TLDR (😜): yes

5 Likes

Yes, I do. I’ll even listen to ATIS, Ground, Tower, Departure, Arrival via LiveATC.net if i’m mimicking a real flight. I try to be realistic as possible with what I have lol. @Matt737 @MrMrMan

3 Likes

I do the same thing! I check FR24 for the runways in use and I’ll check for an ATIS frequency too.

5 Likes

Absolutely!

1 Like

For some reason, I don’t in IF. Maybe because IF itself is not the most realistic thing in the world. But, I do use them in XPlane 11. Again I’m not sure why I don’t use them in IF, it would make it more realistic.

I guess I’m lazy.

1 Like

How do I use SID/STARs anyway?

1 Like

There are waypoints along the solid black line. Each star shape is a waypoint. Basically, you find your entry point, which in the OP would be GMANN, then just plug in all the waypoints after that that will lead you to the destination. Then, when flying it, you just want to make sure that you meet the requirements for that waypoint. Take the waypoint HOWLN for example…at HOWLN, you must be at 6000ft and 240kts. When you see lines above and below an altitude or speed, that means that you must be at the certain parameter. When you see a line above the alt or spd, that means you have to be at or below that parameter. And finally, when there is a line below it, you must be at or above that parameter. Dm me if you need me to go more in depth. :)

@MrMrMan I’m on KLAX-KPHL right now, and I’m using them too! What I meant from saying in an uncontrolled airspace is I would use them in both, but if ATC assigns other vectors, I follow that. I’ll also use FR24 to see what my arrival runway should be as well.

3 Likes

I usually use Simbrief with the charts. I still use the charts in controlled airspace’s but I just follow ATC

1 Like

All the time. It makes it feel more realistic. When IFATC is present I usually check in on departure and request approach in arrival expecting to be taken off STAR paths.

1 Like

I use them all the time when flying in the states but it’s a bit harder internationally to find and follow since the format is different.

1 Like

I try to use realistic SIDS/STARs whenever I have access to the charts.

Otherwise a look into Flightradar24 has to be enough.

This does not mean I never use a shortcut during those procedures.

1 Like

Absolutely! Also what @MrMrMan said is on point.

1 Like