Do you use aviation in real life?

I “use” aviation in real life for most of the things I do. For example, in my house, there is a big panel that consists of 4 lights switches, and I pretend turning them on and off is turning off and on landing light😂 or turning the shower knob is like the fuel selector in a 172. Do you guys do these kind of things? Or am I the only one. Maybe I’m the only crazy one😂

14 Likes

lol i do the same thing in the shower… turn the knob like a fuel selector.

4 Likes

Yep whenever I talk about a vacation at school I always say like tomorrow I’m flying PHNL and even when I’m walking and have to cross a street I say callsign requesting to cross [street name here] and I give myself clearance to cross but when I think about it every single movement I make has to with ATC commutations😂

9 Likes

This is way too relatable😂😂

4 Likes

Like when I turn a corner I say callsign turn heading 140 or something like that😂

2 Likes

Simple answer. No.

14 Likes

My “call sign” is always N172ER because it just sticks in my head permanently.

1 Like

Congrats you aren’t insane

7 Likes

Why thank you very much, haha.

8 Likes

Same here…

Aviation uses me.

10 Likes

Examples?😂

1 Like

Let’s just say that I give a lot to enable me to fly every day.

4 Likes

I’m sure most people use “aviation” in real life. For me when communication I almost always only say affirmative, negative or roger for application conversations and major destinations with their IATA (if it’s domestic) or ICAO code (if international).

3 Likes

Yes, I use it a lot even when I’m talking with Airline costumer services ( sometimes they don’t understand 😛)

1 Like

I can relate to this when I was at Heathrow on my way to Beijing on a school trip - my classmates thought I was weird

1 Like

The only thing I use is time. You know:

Boeing Time
7:17
7:27
7:37
7:47
7:57

Airbus Time
3:18
3:19
3:20
3:30
3:50

You get the point…

7 Likes

The only thing i guess i do is putting ICAO codes of airports on my instagram stories when I’m travelling.

1 Like

I surprisingly don’t fly that often, but I am enrolling in the flying school at Boulder Municipal Airport in Colorado!

At work as we deal with multiple Terrabytes of media datas, client demands, people and attitudes, fatigue and forgetfulness galore… across continents - time zones - cultures… resulting in daily errors and complaints.

Then I started to use ATC-like confirmations-affirmations at work, speaking like a pilot as they say… because I’m weird.

And whaddayaknow… it works! 99.99% perfect execution from my side of things actually :D Thank you, Infinite Flight! :)

The concept is simple.

People WILL make mistakes anywhere and anytime from all sides you can imagine, no matter what kind of workplace you’re at.
So, how come we make mistakes often in my much relaxed office setting yet no one dies every single day in a much hectic, critical aviation environment - due to human error?
Because you get to intercept and single out hundreds of those tiny human errors before it turns into a biggy, through specialized kind of comms.

Apparently the managers liked my method and it was even mentioned in our monthly meeting! :) And now earned the nick name “Captain” while I’m at it, lol!