Do you think the A380 will come back in the future?

The A380 was unfortunately “short lived” as Airbus stopped it’s production due to the lack of interest and orders. The A380 was just too expensive to keep due to its fuel usage, etc. Not to mention, the A380 also was too big for many airports to accommodate.

The good news is that many countries are building bigger airports that would be able to accommodate these giants. The increase in our population also increases the travel rate / demand. If Airbus makes a more efficient version of the A380, do you think airlines will purchase it? Wouldn’t a larger plane that could fit more people eventually be needed?

Comment your opinions below!

3 Likes

I have no idea, really. I’d wish to see more of these Giants around again.

Having this in mind, even if airports can handle the A380 I’m still not sure if this would increase the Airbus A380 orders. Even if they would try and create a more efficient version of the A380, much more fuel will still be used more than the A350 due to its weight.

But still, I can’t quite answer this question perfectly, but I’d love to see more of these lovely planes around.

5 Likes

No, making an efficient A380 is pretty much making a different model. The 77x and A35K are already very efficient and large aircraft that can accomplish this. Many airlines ordered large amounts of these which be used on high demand routes. Airlines are more interested in the most efficient and cheap aircraft rather than inefficient and expensive. Because of that, we are seeing aircraft like the 77X and A320neo’s. In the end, it’s all about being profitable for airlines, and they will not go towards money suckers like the A380. The whale is an astonishing work of engineering, but not astonishing economically. I believe the A380 is in the sunset. It may possibly exist as a specialty for some airlines though. ANA has 3 for flights to HNL.

1 Like

Honestly, it’ll be a long time when some variant of a double-decker returns.

We’re transitioning to the age of Middle Market planes such as the A321neo and A321XLR, 737 MAX, and the theoretical 797/MoM/NMA.

Instead of placing the largest aircraft possible on the route, airlines are launching routes between their hubs and smaller airports or between less-served airports in general.
Norwegian’s TATL flights to Hartford, Air Canada’s St. John to London, Hawaiian’s Long Beach flight, La Compagnie Nice to Newark, the list continues.

Airlines are going for more efficient planes like the 787 and A350 to replace their aging aircraft.

The A380 will continue to have a niche in heavily-slotted airports like LHR and JFK, allowing them to maximize capacity.

I believe as population increases and the sky becomes filled with more aircraft, airports will be required to become slotted and constrained, allowing for a huge capacity aircraft to shine again.

1 Like

Adding on to what I said earlier and answering OP’s question, if a more efficient version of the A380 were to be developed, Emirates would jump on it.

Emirates’ recent order for a bunch of A380s(now cancelled I think?) was a final effort to save the program. They love the A380, offering service from Dubai as a transitioning hub from North America to Central Asia, Europe to CA/Asia and Australia/Oceania, and vice versa.

Now, theoretically, British Airways, based in the heavily slotted London Heathrow, can potentially order a new version of the A380. They need to maximize capacity if they are slot restrained. However, LHR is planning a 3rd runway which will add slots to the airport.

We’re seeing an existing transfer from maximum capacity to more frequencies, which is assisted by airline agreements such as Joint Ventures. With the AA/BA transatlantic joint venture, they can freely swap metal and optimize the capacity between two cities. If they think a route needs more capacity, they’ll switch aircraft. Either one or two years ago, AA/BA switched up frequencies between DFW/MIA-LHR. AA reduced MIA-LHR and let BA takeover. This past year, AA launched service on PHX-LHR using its own metal, which in turn led to BA reducing LHR-PHX from 14 to 7 weekly since they have a metal neutral agreement. Instead of possibly maximizing capacity and slots with an A380, they let their partners fly another frequency. Passengers seem to prefer more options and times to fly, anyways.

tl;dr: Emirates loves A380, partnerships allow for airlines to fly routes together and favor frequencies over capacities so passengers have more time options.

Yes i think so.

I say no because of simply how the American carriers structure their hub ad spoke operations it would require a lot of flights and money to funnel people into a smaller number of airports to make this work as well as some airports have incentives with these airlines to either stay or have an international flight quota.

Honestly American could theoretically have a feasible A380 flight from DFW. It’s seriously bulking the hub up with 900 departures a day in the peak summer season. A good portion of people are connecting through DFW, rather than staying.

Depending on how they time flights, they can gain traffic from practically any city like New Orleans, Austin, Tyler, San Angelo, Baton Rouge, etc. and funnel them towards a flight to Tokyo, as an example.

Thanks to the timing of AA’s South American flights from São Paulo, Buenos Aires, Lima, Santiago, and others, they can connect onto AA’s Asia flights as a one stop connecting point. There’s a huge amount of SA-Asia traffic that stops in cities like LAX, DFW, and ATL.

Onto ATL with Delta’s massive hub with 1000+ departures a day, they could feasibly full a large wide body, but lose out on frequencies as a result of increased capacity.

1 Like

I agree with you.

1 Like

Point to point certainly seems to be the future. For example the 787-8 is a quite small aircraft for it’s capabilities, and it makes flights like Pittsburgh to London viable. Back in the days whare 747s, and the like we’re what flew trans Atlantic flights that sort of a flight just wasn’t economically viable. Now that said, there will always be flights like NYC to London, and Dubai to Singapore, etc. that require a big aircraft wether or not it’s being used as a connection. As much as point to point is the future, there will always be connections unless we see a fundamental change in the way we travel long distance. Big planes have a place, no question, but for now efficient twins (ie. 777X A350) will dominate that. Freight is likely the one exception, and this is whare Boeing undoubtedly has the upper hand. The 747 was designed from the drawing board as a freighter, a task the A380 simply couldn’t live up to…

2 Likes

This is actually kind of a bad point because we actually did have a 747 to London, but that was back when we were a major hub for US Airways, a BA partner at the time…

1 Like

Wasn’t that flight LGW-PHL-PIT-PHL?

1 Like

Actually your right, when it was a 747. Then there was a deal whare a US 767 was painted up like BA, with a US crew dressed up as a BA crew and flew direct from here to LGW, that was kind of a weird deal… 😂

1 Like

It looks like more fuel efficient twin engine large turbofans are the more popular and cheaper to operate aircraft.

I think it was about 10-15 years too soon to be honest. As passenger air traffic increases-slots will become more restricted-necessitating large passenger aircraft. Now whether or not it’ll be 4 engines like the A380 or if they can in the future figure out how to design a double decker twin-that I don’t know. But the A380 came out too early for its own good in my opinion.

1 Like

Airbus will more then likely never start production of them again, and airlines i believe are just selling them back to airbus something like that, once the major carriers cut them out of their fleets over the next decade i believe smaller airlines will buy them second hand because they’ll be extremely cheap buying it second hand then a brand new one, i do believe that over the next decade we’ll see many small carriers pop out of nowhere offering long flights for cheaper than the bigger carriers as the smaller airlines would’ve got their planes at a much cheaper price and would be able to afford it

Honestly, I would see airlines wanting more interest in the B748 later on because it is more fuel efficient and would work better for cargo and passengers, but that’s just my opinion…

The A350 is just going to take over the market!

Yea, the 748 is more fuel efficient, but airlines are moving towards 777X and the A350’s the 748 will be used by cargo companies for obvious reasons, but second hand A388’s will be picked up by smaller airlines as they’ll cost fractions the price of a new A388 and some bugget airlines will probably pick the A388’s up for a decade and once the second hands are done, the A388 will be a rare bird of the skies

1 Like

I have only seen one I’m my life. It was at heathrow and MAN that thing was HUMONGUS

I want to see moreeeeee

2 Likes