Do you think Airlines should fly regional jets?

Interested to see what the community thinks. Please tell me why you think this, I’m very interested to know why! Regional jets include planes like the CRJ family, or the E-Jets family. I personally think that airlines should fly regional jets because the idea is that the airline will make more money by flying these smaller jets to smaller airports because they will be full. They will also use less fuel than mainline jets. Here is an Embraer 145 regional jet:

credits to Wikipedia

• Yes, companies should fly regional jets
  • No, companies should not fly regional jets

0 voters

6 Likes

If they can’t fill an A319 or 737-700 why not?

10 Likes

Yep. If big planes only fly to bigger class B airports people will have to drive farther and be discouraged to get on the flight. On the other hand little Regional planes can fly those connection flights from the class C to the class B airports.

I lived near KFAY, a little class C that’s mainly GA and Regional Jets. My nearest Class B airport, KRDU is 2h away up I-95 and west I-40. The traffic there gets bad and sometimes we may not want to battle all that just to go to Atlanta. So we can just take a Delta E-Jet to KATL and boom.

1 Like

I prefer turboprops to regonal jets, especially the q series compard to the embraers

Yes definitely. Like there are plenty of large towns/even small cities that definitely benefit from air service, but don’t quite have the demand to fill a mainline jet.
However, I’ve seen sometimes both regional jets and mainline jets flying into an airport. 2 examples are KEYW with Delta 737-700’s to/from ATL as well as CRJ 900’s. Another is KMDT (Harrisburg PA) with American Eagle service to numerous destinations including CLT as well as American mainline on an A319 to CLT.

2 Likes

Some routes have low demand. Some airports have short runways.

Regional aircraft allow legacies to sign other airlines to contracts (Ex Skywest, Compass Air) If anything goes wrong, they can blame it on the regional carriers.

Yes. Regional airlines are the first step for a huge portion of the incoming ATPs each year. Without Regional Carriers you would have to see a major overhaul of the current Air Transport Pilot regulations to keep up the demand for pilots in the industry.

1 Like

I dont see why not…

2 Likes

There seems to be higher demand/requirement for regionals in the US and Australia compared to in Europe. Guess that’s a lot of the geography reasons as well as info structure reasons.

1 Like

Yes because don’t forget about that one person who needs to do the DSM-FAI route every Saturday…

1 Like

If it makes them money then why not!?

1 Like

Is this even a question? Without regional jets you immediately get rid of commercial airports with runways shorter than ~6000ft i.e. London City, which then means you’ve got less connectivity solutions for those who have no choice but to fly from an airport like this. They’re essential in modern day aviation.

3 Likes

It very much depends upon where you’re operating them from. In the UK for example an Embraer gets charged the same amount as an A380 to land at Heathrow. The aircraft uses a slot it pays the price! Most major airlines would chop and change routes, aircraft and pricing to fill up a bigger jet with a greater yield.

So you don’t see many regional jets at Heathrow!

Also it’s down to the operator. Many majors ‘have interests in’ smaller regional operators. This absolves the carrier of the necessity to train and maintain yet another aircraft type. Having multiple types on the line requires a much greater back office commitment to engineering, training, booking, routing etc. etc. etc.

3 Likes

Regional jets and turboprops are very prominent here in Indonesia. These planes are very important to small airports in small towns because the RJ’s and turboprops can land there. There are many, many small towns and airports in Indonesia which is why they are so many. I think any airline based in a country with many small airports should get the RJ’s and the turboprops. I mean, look at my profile pic :P

@Yuan_Tugo has a good point though.

1 Like

This is a question because this dude told me he thought it lost companies money on maintinence yesterday, and thought Southwest’s all 737 fleet was the best. I just wanted to bring our argument off the other topic, but it appears he hasn’t posted.

Not to mention that Indonesia has an interesting geographical conditions compared to some other countries. On these areas, it is pretty hard to build an airport and they are also pretty remote. Not to mention the prominent Aircraft’s role to transport people between steep mountains, hills, and valleys. So regional jets (Actually Turboprops, as some regional jets can only land on airports that can handle 737s) has an important role in the aviation industry in Indonesia

1 Like

If I was a customer I would say yes since it will be convenient for many of us to fly to exactly which city we want to go to.
If I was a CEO of some airline I would say yes since that would be expanding my airline, making more jobs, making more money and helping more people.

TBH, that is exactly why I want to be a CEO-cum-Founder of a start-up which will be made by me. (Referring to the “making more jobs, making more money and helping more people” part) :-)

1 Like

Cum-CEO? Weird lol… I get your trying to say Co-CEO xd.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure he was talking hot air

In the US, regional jet/turboprop operations are subcontracted out by the legacy carriers to smaller airlines. The liveries may look the same, but the planes and crews are not United, American, etc. That’s why your see, for example, “United XXXX, operated by ExpressJet” or “Delta XXXX, operated by SkyWest” on your reservation.

Why? Costs. One huge reason is if the mainline operated the routes, those crews would fall under the negotiated union contract and would be paid more money. As it is now, the regionals are used as a starting off spot for many flight crews who trade lower pay for the chance to accumulate hours and eventually be hired by one of the big boys.

Edit: Regional pilots have seen significant raises in starting pay in the last couple years due to the increasing demand for pilots while increased FAA regulations for minimum hours have effectively decreased the pool of qualifying candidates and discouraged many from choosing to go through pilot training.

1 Like