Do you guys feel a330 engine to weak? Or just me?

Usually when I do flight and when takeoff at 160kts speed and rotate, after gear up the speed bit drop and i need to increase the power to 91%… how do you guys anticipate these? let me know in comment section.

2 Likes

Even before the new update for the A330, the engines were weaker. Are you using flaps on take-off? That can help with the speed a bit.

1 Like

Have you referenced the A330 tutorial? After the update, the physics was modified to more accurately reflect the aircraft’s performance. I recommend you reference the performance tables provided in the A330 video tutorial, they’ve helped me create a pretty good climb profile.

2 Likes

yeah, i use flaps 2 and trim 5%

it used to be wayyyyyyyyyyyy weaker

also 91% N1 is a pretty realistic takeoff power setting.

1 Like

The A330 is a bit of a slug when climbing, in real life too. Both the -300 and the Neo are underpowered when compared to other planes of the same category, in the real world.

1 Like

I personally feel that this is a somewhat biased observation given that the last 3 major rework and addition to the roster of updated aircraft all contain planes that are pretty powerful for their weight and size.

Take for example, the A350, B777 family and the B757-200. These are probably some of the most powerful planes out there at the moment, and given that they’ve come one after another, bringing the A330 into the scene might be quite the “reality check” for those who have been so used to the incredibly powerful engines on those planes. I will admit, I am one of those who felt that way when flying the A330.

That said, it is a really good cruiser, with insanely low fuel burns for the weight and the capacity it has. This thing could easily do 18 hour flights even with the smaller capacity than the B777 and A350.

6 Likes

Hi there,
Usually does not always work, so I use this :

Since we can’t do the calculations involved for T/O speeds etc. as IRL I found out my own way. Feel free to read through it if you want :)

For the power settings I use my standard method: use a certain amount of throttle (so I don’t refer to N1) for any load at or below 60%, and add 1% of THR for every 3% of additional load. This continues until a load of 90%, if my aircraft is heavier than 90% I don’t further increase power. I know, this sounds complicated, but I invested quite a bit of testing with different aircraft and figured out that this method gives quite accurate results, but note that for every aircraft I start with a different THR setting for a load at or below 60%.

For the A333 I figured out the following:
Load at or below 60% = THR at 85%
Load between 60 and 63% = THR at 86%
Load between 63 and 66% = THR at 87%
Load between 84 and 87% = THR at 94%
Load at or above 88% = THR at 95%

Important to note is that this method is built based on the v-speeds which SimBrief is calculating. And here comes the second twist in the method into play: SimBrief provides the speeds for a TO/GA takeoff, so full power. Since I don’t do that in my method, I move the values a bit, as followed:

Vr is used as V1
V2 is used as Vr
V2 + (V2 - Vr) is used as V2
The initial climb speed is the adapted V2 + 15 knots.

Last note: Depending on AD elevation and RWY length you might wanna add a few % of additional THR to be on the safe side.

Well, that’s it. Easy, right?😅

3 Likes

I’d recommend checking this out for takeoff speeds and thrust settings:

1 Like