Do you do a immediate turn after takeoff ?

Hello all.
Do you do a immediate turn after takeoff like this ? :-) Please anwser and stay at the subject of the topic

8 Likes

For me, I would like to maintain runway heading usually for a short distance until drifting off to the side.

One main reason why I do this is because I got ghosted before for intersection departures… But that is just me, it is fine to turn immediately after takeoff.

18 Likes

No usually I turn at the middle of the ILS…triangle (I don’t know what it’s called)

3 Likes

This is basically asking “Do you like to ignore the existence of all other traffic and instead be the bull in a china shop as you barrel through the airspace?”

82 Likes

Most pilots IRL will fly the heading very shortly, and put gear up and then turn, that’s what i’ve seen a lot, i could be wrong,

3 Likes

An intersection departure is taking off from a taxiway mid runway.

Do you mean “not following ATIS?” Where straight out only is on to prevent just this type of turn because it creates instant separation issues almost every time.

14 Likes

Yes, the reason for ghost is not following ATIS. My bad that time and now I don’t do that and pay attention to ATIS every time.

Ghosting and violations will get you better as long as you learn every time.

So in result (to stay on topic). I now extend my departures.

2 Likes

It depends, if there is no traffic and I’m following a published SID then thats dope, if there is ATC I tend to stay away from it unless I’m 1000ft above other parallel traffic which is the minimum sep required, at least in the IFATC manual I think. IRl ATC will tell you to turn a certain way but sadly we do not have that implemented in IF.

1 Like

I was also reported (not following atis) at KJFK for turning immediately after takeoff.

Seems like a lot of people faced this situation before~

Just to be safe I usually now depart straight out~

If they tell you straight out departures only then listen. I start my turn in an airliner about 1500 agl, which most real world airliners do as well.

If the IFR Chart calls for it, then yes. One of my favorite departures is off 22R/L at KBOS-those departures IRL are turning tight and low over my house-the turn usually starts at ~400’ or so.

3 Likes

I usually do that.

This definitely can happen in real life and isn’t too rare. I was just looking at FR24 and saw this:20190624_153512
Of course it really depends on the aircraft size, this turn would not have been performed in a 777, for example. Also notice that the turn wasn’t a full 90° turn. Most immediate turns are not 90°, usually only 45°.

1 Like

It depends. I mostly fly out of MHT, so I have to do the Manchester Nine Departure, which is this chart here

https://flightaware.com/resources/airport/MHT/DP/MANCHESTER+NINE/pdf

1 Like

I always ha d fly my commercial pla es up to 5000 entirely, not even speed autopilot, so usually in order to mai train my flight path if its within a 4t degree heading of the runway I’m using I’ll make the turn and if it’s more then I will fly out to halfway up the approach for the opposite runway then make my turn out unless cleared for straight out.

Like this in LHR

Right, and for everyone who is going to pull out other charts, the difference is that all of that departing traffic is accounted for by everything else going on around them.

Every arrival is on a STAR. There isn’t a 45 plane line for takeoff because everyone just happened to spawn at the same time or there’s an event. There aren’t people taking off from next door and flying their downwind right in the path of that departure.

We can all find SIDs where there’s a fairly immediate turn. But if you want real-world in IF, it has to be the whole picture. You can’t insert one small piece of real world into an airspace where 95 percent of it is just nothing like it. Those SIDs work because of how they interact with all of the other pieces of how traffic is managed in the airspace. There’s never a plane just hanging out just to the east of the upwind there, as there often is in IF. We don’t have C/D assigning STARs to arrivals. We don’t have every departure following them. We can’t space out our departures by having pilots patiently wait for pushback until their scheduled time.

There’s more than just a SID chart. It’s fits into an entire framework. That framework needs all the pieces, not just a single piece of the scaffolding.

10 Likes

In Nice airport.
Screenshot_20190624-215157

1 Like

Because terrain. That one we wouldn’t have straight out on.

(Although, I should note that all the real world enthusiasts suddenly lost their enthusiasm when they asked for Radar Vectors on departure and I took them on that exact route. The second I turned them south they decided “meh, I wanna go north, forget your vectors.”)

4 Likes