Do Regional Pilots Fly Under Multiple Airlines?

Regional airlines such as Republic Airways and Skywest fly under multiple airlines (United, American, Delta, etc). If I fly for one of those airlines, do I fly for just one airline that my regional carrier flies for or do I switch every other day, week, month or even possibly fly for United and Delta in the day? Did a little google search and didn’t find anything so I’m hoping someone here might provide a little more info.

I’m really confused by your question, I could only imagine they are associated to one Airline.

1 Like

What’s confusing about it? I’ll try to explain.

I would assume you fly for one airline.

2 Likes

I was thinking that, but I also though it would then make reserve pilots/flight attendants hard to use. You’d have to have seperate groups for each airline you operate under.

As a regional pilot you are flying for multiple airlines if it applies to the regional you are flying for. A regional airline such as Skywest, operates for more than one major airline. Skywest flies for United, American, Alaska and Delta. However, a major airline may source other competition into their organization. Envoy Airlines which flies strictly for all American Airlines flights, does not fly for any other Airlines. Ive attached a link that lists out the airlines that Skywest flies for. http://www.skywest.com/fly-skywest-airlines Hope this answers your question.

My cousin flies SkyWest CRJs. So any CRJ operating for any airline they fly for he can fly it so yes they do switch around.

1 Like

Wow I didn’t know that could be possible, to fly to different airlines. One time I talk to a pilot who was next to me in a fligh, when I ask him who he fly’s for, He told me he fly the CRJ’s for Delta. That’s good to know.

You have to fly for a regional airline to fly under multiple airline names. That means you fly small planes and get way less money than the people at big airlines. So if I fly for Republic Airways I fly small planes, get less money than the big airlines, but fly for United Express, Delta Connection, and American Eagle. It’s a good starter job, but you should move to the major airlines as soon as you can.

1 Like

Correct.

An FO can make more money going in to a major than a Captain with the regionals.

1 Like

@Jdichter would be able to give you a good answer.

1 Like

Well yes, and no. As far as I’m aware they are hired by a small regional carrier ex: Endeavor or WestJet and get payed and managed by them. Although if that regional carrier dogs for many larger airlines such as Delta and Southwest, they may fly planes with different airline’s liveries if that makes any sense.

1 Like

Most regional airlines work like that…

You simply are (majority speaking) employed by, and fly for, the regional carrier. You don’t just change employment or uniform etc depending on which route you fly. The regional carrier however often has contracts with other larger airliners, to fly shorter routes. You may fly different liveries and have different callsigns.

For example, if you are employed by Horizon, you will always be flying Dash 8-Q400’s that are fully painted in the Alaska livery (with the small ‘horizon’ annotation) and using the ‘Alaska Horizon’ callsign, however you are employed by Horizon.

Another example, in Australia, Cobham Aviation is actually contracted by Qantas, to operate under the name ‘QantasLink’ and own/lease each of the 20 Boeing 717s that are flown with the QantasLink branding and painted in the livery. Eastern airlines and Sunstate airlines also operate other aircraft which are painted in the QantasLink livery and now use the ‘Q-Link’ callsign.

I think marketing and financial backing plays a big part. Everyone knows The big airlines, they have a reputation, they have frequent flyer programs etc. if you can book it on a major airlines website and the aircraft is painted in their colours, people will fly on it.

I was going to say you probably mostly apply and work for a specific airline but i think sometimes they loan pilots to other companies but i don’t think it’s a request thing i think they do it on a as need basis im surprised how much I’ve forgotten my step mom used to work for a major airline for many years and knows quite a bit i love to ask her questions all the time some things she doesn’t know if course but she knows much more than i expected for working in call centers they still have to know all the ffa rules ect it’s a very interesting industry…

worlds longest single sentence!

4 Likes

Uhh… Im lost. 🤔

1 Like

Are you talking about code share agreements?

Nothing to do with codeshares, see @DeerCrusher post above which explains this very well Do Regional Pilots Fly Under Multiple Airlines?

These flights are flown under a prime code of the contracting airline.

2 Likes

My dad was an RJ900 Captain at Pinnacle (now Endeavor) before going to mainline Delta. Endeavor only operates for Delta / Delta Connection because Delta owns Endeavor. My dad’s paychecks were even addressed from Delta when he flew for Endeavor.

You can also jumpseat to and from work on Delta if you fly/work for Endeavor. Pilots for Delta, United, and American can now jumpseat on FedEx for free.

Yes. Airlines like, Skywest, republic, shuttle america, mesa, gojet, compass, trans states, express jet. Are the regional airlines. They have their own uniforms this own policies and procedures and fly for all 3 of the majors; Delta, American, United. Airlines like PSA, Envoy, Piedmont (American Airlines Wholly Owned), Endeavour (Delta Wholly Owned) and Horizon (Alaska Wholly Owned) fly strictly for those carriers. They’re policies and procedures typically fall similar to the mainline carrier and their uniforms typically match the mainline company and most have “flow through” agreements to the mainline carrier in seniority order. So they go to the mainline carrier when their number is called basically no interview no questions asked. Pilots at Skywest or any of the other above stated regionals usually fly their trips for the same airline, so say my trip on jan 4 starts as an American eagle trip it will usually stay that way through the whole trip. My next one on Jan 11 could be a United trip, and that will usually start that way for the whole 4 day trip. So you could feasibly fly for all 3 airlines that month while wearing the same uniform and using the same callsign. Each airline has its perks and difference when it comes to working for them. If you are looking for a job or need advice please do not hesitate to PM me.

Great day guys
Safe flying

6 Likes