Do real world pilots and ATC navigate using True North instead of magnetic North?

Listening to LiveATC, why is it that the real world pilots and ATC in the Seattle region navigate using True North, yet the the runways and IFR plates they follow use magnetic North?

Confused??

Well at least I think they do because KSEA RW 16R runs true North-south, and I often hear pilots being directed 180° when it is 163°.

All flying is done by magnetic North.

Seattle is 16 degrees E variation, so take your true north, minus 16 and you get mag north.

Remember all vectors are wind corrected, it’s likely they’re being vectored to intercept the localiser on a heading of 180.

Magnetic north is used normal, only for flying over the pole the true north is used.

Imagine if there was an airport close to the N/S pole. Vectoring would be so confusing…

3 Likes

The only reason I ask is when listening to LiveATC, I hear KSEA ATC vectoring a flight from KPDX Portland to KSEA RW 16R with
Alaska 427 turn right 070 (after passing RAYUU),
Alaska 427 turn right 130,
and sometimes they will add,
Alaska 427 continue on 180

That last 180 comment was confusing me, since by that time they are locked onto the ILS glide slope on a 164 ° approach.