Do most pilots use auto land

The title is basically my question. Do most pilots use auto land? Under what circumstances do pilots use auto land?

4 Likes

I don’t use auto land unless it’s foggy conditions where I can’t see the runway

13 Likes

I never use APPR mainly because I like to practice landing the plane myself and in my opinion there is no point to use APPR, it’s harder to butter with APPR.

2 Likes

Pretty much the same for me.

Unfortunately I do not use APPR to land on a ILS
Because I like landing my plane

1 Like

Landing on auto land is usually harder than ILS landing. That is why I prefer manual landing with ILS. Which helps to perform better landing :)

I totally agree

I use APPR to set up the approach and turn it off at around 6 Nm from the runway

7 Likes

Ok. And also do u turn off auto brakes after takeoff or keep them on the whole flight?

I use it but I disable it at 1000’ AGL because of recommendations from my VA

I never use it even during foggy conditions I just set the ils And fly the ball down to the runway

1 Like

I do only on the a330, a350, and 757

Only time I’ve used autoland is when I was landing at KDCA with 0 visibility. Couldn’t see the runway until I was at 100-ish feet. I still use APPR but I disconnect it on short final and land manually.

I use APPR till 1500ft AGL or 1000ft AGL that way the plane is exactly in the middle and I can take control to land the plane my self.

1 Like

Are you referring to Infinite Flight or IRL?

Nope. Fly manually all the way! I never use APPR. Whats the fun innit? :D

1 Like

I don’t even know how to use it lol

5 Likes

Only once IRL as a passenger do I remember not being able to see anything through the window when the wheels touched down (SFO B7474). I leave auto land on for such occasions. Out of sheer guilt I find myself taking manual control almost always at the end of flight when I can see the runway.

But I like the sense of fun in @Ethan_Brown and @IF_Hadi reply

2 Likes

so how do you land, just with speed and Hdg/LNAV1 on AP?

If I can’t see the runway I’ll set up the plane to auto land