DJI Drones Integrate ADS-B into their Products

I’m going to try to make this short…

I recently saw an advertisement for DJI where they are showing off their new “Airsense” technology.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IpXt7FBFBU

What this means is that drones are being developed with ADS-B systems in an attempt to promote safety in aviation and our airspace.

If you dont know what ADS-B is… It’s basically a system that can communicate with satellites to enable ATC/other aircraft etc… to track the position of another ADS-B equipped object through the sky (other a/c). Here is a Wikipedia article explaining the system in depth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_dependent_surveillance_%E2%80%93_broadcast

Now what am I getting at here? Sounds great!

I agree, ADS-B is an amazing system that has proven its worth in the aviation industry. On top of that, we are promoting the safety of drones which as most of you know… have a huge impact on the security on this sensitive industry.

However, my concern is that over-advertising may cause the uneducated drone pilot to create a false sense of security and even worse-the aviation industry to create a false sense of security of flying the uav through dangerous air. What I’m saying is that we need to be aware of a fact: Not all aircraft are equipped with ADS-B!!. The last thing we need is a drone pilot who is flying a uav in a dangerous area that has the belief that he/she can dodge all aircraft and all aircraft can dodge him/her.

On a side note, it’s worth mentioning that drone courses are a great thing. In my opinion it’s worth funding by governments across the world because again… Safety is paramount.

A big factor as well is the fact that DJI Airsense does not give any aircraft any indication that a drone is in the vicinity

Am I against Airsense? No. Do I think it is the pinnacle of drone/aviation safety? …No.

Now, what do you guys think of this?? I think it’s a great advancement in aviation safety but again, I think we should still promote the facts.

Let me know what you guys think and what your opinion is on drone safety in the airspace.

Have a great day!

7 Likes

You can’t get in trouble if they can’t catch you ;)

4 Likes

No more Heathrow shutdown for you. Ive got a old DJI Phantom 4 Pro that’s being fixed so I wonder if there sneaking this in there

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.